First Goal With First Machine - A South Bend

Yep, your lathe predates SB's A, B, C designations. If I remember correctly, A is a gear change lathe, B, has automatic cross feeds (I think)' and C is equipped with a quick change gear box. So yours ( and my 1924 9x36 SB) are earlier models, with slightly different sized beds etc. but, essentially the same machine.

FWIW, I recently restored a smaller 7x36 Belt driven Dalton Lathe. I used a Napa, automotive sertintine belt for the back gear, and a simple V belt for the engine drive pulley. The serpentine belt works just fine. Quick to install, smooth running, and long lasting. Good to learn with and it will get you up and running quickly.

Glenn

@LucknowKen, that's interesting. I wonder when the A, B, C designations started.
I believe they eventually indicated things like whether it had a quick-change gear box, power cross-feed, etc.

-brino

Brino,

I believe the A,B,C, versions of the 9" lathe started around 1938-1939 and continued all the way up to it's end in the 1980's. You actually have to look at catalog dates to get an idea of this. I don't think Steve mentions this on his website other that it's right after the 405, 415 series existed. Of course, this is when the top oilers went to the side.

Ken

Here's the lathe just before cleaning. That's yellow paint on the inside there.

upload_2017-1-1_13-11-12-png.710745.png
That started out as a "off white" or "Almond" color. This was a pretty common color used by many lathe builders who painted the inside of the bed of their lathes. I sometime do the same and use Rustoleum's "Gloss Almond" color paint, almost a perfect match.

Thanks for the ideas on the belt. Will task Johnny with finding real wool felt. That kid can search the internet like there's no tomorrow.

You might check McMaster Carr. They sell felt in several thicknesses. Not sure if it is real wool felt, but another member on here sent me a scrap last year for my Dalton Lathe rebuild (only needed couple inches of 1/8" strips for an oil distribution channel in my back gear bushings). Worked real well.

Glenn

Back