Flat belt step pulleys

Scruffy

Active User
Registered
Has anyone ever made a large 4 step flat belt pulls out of having rings rolled of flat steel ?
Thanks scruffy ron

I have not, but am wondering what size diameter pulley you are thinking about? I have an old 22" camelback drill,press that was originally line shaft driven and has some honking big pulleys on the input shaft. Trying to figure out the best method to convert to electric motor drive v-belts.

Glenn

Thanks for the reply Glenn. This machine was a line shaft machine,I think it was made in the 19 teens.
Who ever electrified it just thru a motor on it with one size pulley. I want to make a exact copy of the onit so I can change speeds with the same belt. The pulley sizes will be 10. 8. 6. 4. Inch dia. By 2 3/8. Wide. I hope these pics help explain.
Thanks scruffy Ron952A192BE-A76A-4231-8BD8-E9ED3E7FD0CC.jpegEFB61416-E77E-4EF8-AFF3-F0444D9AF6C7.jpegBA96EAF5-E5C7-4B3B-B2BD-3F3DFCD4F55D.jpeg8726F203-2ADC-49B0-9179-1EEE7ACB81E0.jpeg7B138983-56A6-4A2A-B859-399DFEEC5BBB.jpeg

Glenn if your filling me if you make the same pulley and flip it end wise you have different speeds and yo use the same belt.
Thanks ron

Has anyone ever made a large 4 step flat belt pulls out of having rings rolled of flat steel ?
Thanks scruffy ron
i have not had a pulley made like that, but it sounds like a very good solution.
it may take some welding and some planning, but it's doable if you want to!

If it were mine I would just put an adjustable speed motor on it.
I don't think a pulley that large would be happy living on a short motor shaft. Therefore a jack shaft addition would be needed.
You can probably get a treadmill motor for free and if needed, buy a speed controller for 20 - 30 bucks.

This is a 5 hp motor and it is going to have a out board support so I can get the speed range that is useful.
This machin weighs in the neighbor hold of 1500 lbs.
Thanks ron

I just went through the same unique situation with a Seneca Falls lathe. The solution I came up with works very well. The easiest way to fab up some cone pulleys is to build them from hard wood. I used some exotic south American wood of which I cant remember the name for the biggest pulleys and some purpleheart for the smallest. It is very hard and stable. I first started by building a sleeve to mount them to, and then turned them one at a time before I stacked and glued them all together.
pulleysleeve.jpgpulleywood.jpgstep pulley.jpg

I just went through the same unique situation with a Seneca Falls lathe. The solution I came up with works very well. The easiest way to fab up some cone pulleys is to build them from hard wood. I used some exotic south American wood of which I cant remember the name for the biggest pulleys and some purpleheart for the smallest. It is very hard and stable. I first started by building a sleeve to mount them to, and then turned them one at a time before I stacked and glued them all together.
very cool man!!!! :grin:

Back