Flea Market Vice Find (kurt Clone)

Whyemier

Active User
Registered
So the wife says, "You want to go with me to the 'Webster Flea market' today?'. I hadn't even finished my first cupa coffee but didn't think twice. I do like a good flea market!

So, walking around I see various tools. Did pick up a small set of unused (from the look of them) carbide drills. Then looked at some other tools, most with new prices that told me their owners did not want to let go of them really. Hey! They're old & I don't care what you paid for them when you bought them. But they are your's and you can charge what you want but not to me.

Was almost through and my feet were getting tired when I saw this:

l'd been looking for a larger good milling vice and would have paid a couple hundred for one in very good condition but this looked good for my budget today. Some kinda Kurt Clone but no name on it or other markings I can see or identify except for the '150' cast into the side and a stamped mark of '197'. It had a slight movement laterally (not side to side) when open 1/2" to 3" of about 1/32"- less than 1/16". After opening 3 1/2" to 5" I couldn't get any movement laterally at all. Probably more wear on the feed screw in the "upper" area of the vice. Everything else seemed tight.

Asked what he wanted and was told $75. We dickered down to $65 which I was satisfied with. Still need to disassemble and clean but think I got a good deal. What says you guys?

O yea! I also got a possible machining job. The guy asked me what I was using the vice for and when he found out I had the shop/shed out back asked if I could make some pieces for him he can't seem to get anywhere.

Last edited:
Good find! But, because the feed screw goes into the movable jaw at the top and not buried in the base of the vise. I don’t think it has the Kurt pull down feature/design. You will just need to give more attention to the clamped parts staying down is all…Dave

Last edited:
Looks like a Yuasa.

It could be but I couldn't find an image of the Yuasa that matches this configuration. I'll look some more since I'd like to know.

...because the feed screw goes into the movable jaw at the top and not buried in the base of the vise. I don’t think it has the Kurt pull down feature/design. You will just need to give more attention to the clamped parts staying down is all…Dave

I'll watch for that it would never have occurred to me.
Thank You,

Inny-outy; backy-forthy; who cares?
He likes it. Sounds like a good deal.
It's less than a 1/16th, I'm assuming when loose and just sitting there. Sounds like a good vise to me, too.

Wrat

'Whilst' ('nuther word for the word smiths :bonjour:) cleaning it up and oiling (and filing burrs and scraping gunk) I found 'Japan' stamped on it. So it might be a Yuasa. The only other marks were on the 'holding' bars that keep the movable jaw from falling out. They were stamped 6 F.

Just wish I had the swivel that goes under this vise. (Never satisfied!)

must have my lateral and longitudinal mixed up:idea:
That's good. Lateral movement would have been worse than longitudinal, which is probably just play in the screw or in the anchor end of it. I think you have a good vise there and at a great price!

Back