Flood Coolant Set Up Questions

I don't know this from personal experience, but I believe the ideal method is to use rigid tapping with a tension-only holder. This permits peck-tapping as the thread starts at the same point every time, but also permits a slight amount of variation between the thread lead and spindle synchronization on retract. No over-run on entry so you can tap to within a few 'thou of a blind hole every time in all materials.

It's reported in a few places online that this method creates more accurate threads and the taps last longer.

If someone wants to send me a tension holder I'd be willing to give it a go...:)

I stand corrected.

I stand corrected.

My comment was mostly just me being obnoxious :)

I think you'll be just fine with your current setup. You clearly didn't have any problems turning that aluminum to Swiss cheese.

The only time I've needed rigid tapping vs a tension/compression setup is with big taps. My spindle just doesn't have enough guts at 400RPM to push a 1/2" tap 1" deep in mild steel in one shot. Peck tapping at .250" per peck with a spiral flute was the only way I could get all the way down the hole.

If I had more horsepower down low, or drilled a bigger starter hole, or used a coated tap at higher speed it would have been fine.

My comment was mostly just me being obnoxious :)

I think you'll be just fine with your current setup. You clearly didn't have any problems turning that aluminum to Swiss cheese.

The only time I've needed rigid tapping vs a tension/compression setup is with big taps. My spindle just doesn't have enough guts at 400RPM to push a 1/2" tap 1" deep in mild steel in one shot. Peck tapping at .250" per peck with a spiral flute was the only way I could get all the way down the hole.

If I had more horsepower down low, or drilled a bigger starter hole, or used a coated tap at higher speed it would have been fine.

My comment was mostly just me trying to be funny. Your response was informative and appreciated as they all are. My apologies.

No need to apologize. I am the opposite of a special snowflake; more like rhino hide.

Now, if we're done with that, how about sticking a fork in this thread? Seriously, I'm having fits trying to get Fusion360 to do my bidding and I need some help. I'll go start a new thread and we can drive it off on a tanget...

Back