Foredom Tool Disassembly - Switch Replacement?

gr8legs

Active User
Rest In Peace
Hi all and thanks in advance...

I got a well-used Foredom flex shaft tool at an auction that needs the switch, power cord and one of the brush holders replaced.

I got it apart to the point that I have the motor winding exposed but the switch, cord and brush holder are at the other end of the motor housing and I can't get the motor winding out to access the 'connection' end of the motor. The motor bell housing is apparently 2 pieces, not 3 and I'm reluctant to hit it too hard to see if I can get the stator loose to have access to the wiring.

Has anyone replaced the cord / switch / brush holder in one of these? Is it likely that the stator is just 'stuck' and needs a good thwack or is there a secret setscrew somewhere holding this together?

Thanks!

Stu

Hi Stu,

When I get home tonight I'll see if my manual has an exploded view that might uncover any hidden fasteners......
A picture of yours may help decide if we have similar models.

-brino

a soft blow hammer and heat from a heat gun or even a hair dryer is often one of your best friends in disassembling tools. smack the part you don't want to move and let inertia do its thing. . . . . .

Well, as it turns out my Foredom motor enclosure is two pieces, not three - and the stator is a press fit into one of the pieces. It comes out with a bit of heat on the outer enclosure and wiggling.

That doesn't help much in replacing the brush holders though - they seem to be another case of press-fits into the housing and getting them out is worse than pulling a tooth - apparently not only a press fit but glued in place. It looks like the only replaceable parts are the motor brushes.

I'm saying 'not repairable' and depositing in the trash.

Stu

Back