• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Untitled 1

As promised, a formal announcement has been made regarding recent changes in the administrative staff here at H-M.

Please take a few moments to go to our home page and review that announcement.

[4]

Found a Great Deal on CRAIGSLIST? Post it here!

[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
M

Mister Ed

Charles, here in Dallas TX we suffer from the same problem. Getting the deals our north central neighbors post in this thread is highly unlikely on the Texas region. I once checked all of Texas on a regular basis (as in every 5 minutes), and it is pretty much the same all over. Houston, Austin, Abilene, Amarillo, etc. It took me like 8 months to find my 12x36 lathe! I am glad I am not looking for anything at the moment, as it would be quite exasperating...

Every now and then, however, I do get lucky and I find an individual offloading fair amounts of tooling from a deceased relative at kind of reasonable prices. But never like in the north central regions, that for sure.
I think things are hit and miss all over the board. I've seen people trying to sell crapped out items for long periods, for high prices. Then periodically you'll someone selling something for a stupidly low price. Really same with ebay.

Was looking for a mill and watching Index 55s. Seen decent and clapped out ones near he $2k range. Also watched a nice one on CL & Ebay with tooling sell for $700 ... and it took a couple of weeks (was ready to pull the trigger, until we had issues on the home front). Shapers the same way ... I missed out on a $200 12" Sheldon by a coupe hours. 6mos later I end up with a $200 Mint South Bend ... that I stole. I wasn't shopping for one per say, but keeping my eyes open. Also see it on Ebay too ... a very nice SB Shaper & cabinet just sold in Texas for $300 or so ... and that was the highest bid. But yet, just a SB shaper cabinet alone, recently sold for $400.

Charles Spencer

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
As per my post above, I present you with this.

Well, I hope he gets his price because I happen to have two of these. One I paid $25 for and one I got for free.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/tls/4677594694.html

saw.jpg

"Vintage Sears & Roebuck Band Saw - $175

Antique Band Saw bought at Sears &Roebuck Co.
Needs a motor, which are cheap or easy to make yourself."

This is apparently the very rare bandsaw that takes scroll saw blades. I think I'll buy it, run down to the basement, and fabricate a motor for it.

Charles

PS I couldn't resist posting this even though it is a woodworking machine. However, I'll bet if I called him and asked if it could cut steel he'd probably say yes.

saw.jpg

stevewatr

Active User
As per my post above, I present you with this.

Well, I hope he gets his price because I happen to have two of these. One I paid $25 for and one I got for free.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/tls/4677594694.html

View attachment 84292

"Vintage Sears & Roebuck Band Saw - $175

This is apparently the very rare bandsaw that takes scroll saw blades. I think I'll buy it, run down to the basement, and fabricate a motor for it.

Charles

PS I couldn't resist posting this even though it is a woodworking machine. However, I'll bet if I called him and asked if it could cut steel he'd probably say yes.

Lol, I have one exactly like it and was hoping to sell it some day, but since this guy is in my neck of the woods, I'd better go make sure its still sitting where I left it……then again, who'd steal one of these?? Oh I just remembered, scrap metal thieves!

Steve.

Dave Smith

Active User
Needs a motor, which are cheap or easy to make yourself."[/QUOTE]

I guess I am way behind times---I never realized that motors for my tools could be so easy to make myself-----Dave:thinking:
I learn something new everyday

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director

I guess I am way behind times---I never realized that motors for my tools could be so easy to make myself-----Dave:thinking:
I learn something new everyday
Sure they are, I made one on my bench grinder just the other day.:rofl:

Dave Smith

Active User
Sure they are, I made one on my bench grinder just the other day.:rofl:
Jim---did you make your bench grinder motor also ? now I am really confused at what is all involved in making motors so easily--probably just a PHASE I need help with :thinking::thinking::thinking:eek:r :thinking:------Dave

GarageGuy

Active User
Those two listings are absolutely typical of CL ads in Florida, and they're the reason I'm so jealous of you guys in the more industrial areas who get such great deals on clean machines that are on your doorstep.

Actually I'm not bitter, life is good here in the 'Sunshine State', but there's plenty of 'good ol' boys' who'll try and guilt you into paying ten times what their rusting heap of junk is worth to take care of their 'medical bills'.

It's hard to keep stuff rust free when the humidity is always high and you're never far from the sea, but believe me, the mill in that pic is in excellent condition compared to a lot that I see. :lmao:

However, $2.5K is a joke :nuts:; I'd feel I was being generous if I offered $250!

Compare it to basically the same machine that Bobby1 picked up for, I think $500 in this thread: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/7958-jet-mill-good-deal?p=65861#post65861

View attachment 39422

M

I have this same machine, and paid $300 for it on CL (Chicago). It came with tooling that was worth 10 times that.

There is someone in Itasca, IL that has had an "estate sale" going on CL for at least 2 years now. They want more than the tools cost originally. The 4 piece Harbor Freight adjustable wrench set (sells for $11 at HF) had a price of $40 on it. Folks have contacted them about it to let them know, but I guess they're trolling for suckers. Picture nearly 100 items on CL for 2 years not having sold.

GG

Falcon67

Active User
Charles, here in Dallas TX we suffer from the same problem. Getting the deals our north central neighbors post in this thread is highly unlikely on the Texas region. I once checked all of Texas on a regular basis (as in every 5 minutes), and it is pretty much the same all over. Houston, Austin, Abilene, Amarillo, etc. It took me like 8 months to find my 12x36 lathe! I am glad I am not looking for anything at the moment, as it would be quite exasperating...

Every now and then, however, I do get lucky and I find an individual offloading fair amounts of tooling from a deceased relative at kind of reasonable prices. But never like in the north central regions, that for sure.
Lubbock and Grapevine are the two sellers that are most likely to have home size equipment. Oil field work has sucked up a lot of what little was there and when I do see things, lots of them are like the lathe in San Antonio - been outside for a while, maybe years. I could have bought some big lathes and a big CNC mill machine here for real cheap - like under $1000 probably - at a local auction. Can't do much with 10 HP 440V 3 phase stuff in a garage. Once in a while a decent BP shows up in Lubbock or Grapevine. Last CL list here for a BP was $3500 and it was missing a bunch of parts and looked pretty beat up.

There's a thread in the Free Parking section of the Garage Journal titled "Official Craigslist Morons...err wishful thinkers" containing 89 pages of CL weirdness in pricing.

CNC Dude

Active User
on the subject of funny CL ads, this made me laugh, especially the "can make parts within a weekend of work" and "price firm" - $750 for a rusted out Atlas (I think)

http://slo.craigslist.org/tls/4680375667.html
I think with a 365 long weekend (and a second lathe for parts) you should be able to make some parts ;-)

We are going to have to change this post to "Found a ridicupreposterous deal on CRAIGSLIST? Post it here!"

stevewatr

Active User
When I first saw this mill pop up on CL a few weeks back, I quickly dismissed it due to it being A) A horizontal mill, and B) a Taiwan made "Promill". But now I think it should be mentioned here because what I did not see initially is that there is a vertical head included. It has power table feed, and I read these came with power draw bar. Only thing I do not see in the photos is the overarm support. Anyways, his ask is $700, but if he still has it, I'm betting he'd deal. Might be a lot of mill for short money, if you're not the type to be scared off by off brand Asian products.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/tls/4651619764.html

Steve.

Andre

Active User
Sure it can. I have a pack of scroll saw blades meant for cutting metal. Even a jewelers saw blade will work in a scroll saw (provided they are the same length) and let you be able to cut metal with it. Half the stroke is wasted though, so it's slow going. My advise, even though they can cut metal just get a bandsaw.

After I made a replacement motor for my JET bandsaw, it's purring like a kitten. My homemade motor is way better than the Dayton motor that came on it. I think I'll make a replacement motor for my mill this week, the Baldor on it is just too junky :roflmao:

furpo

Interesting!

LONG South Bend Engine Lathe - $3500 (Aurora WI)

http://northernwi.craigslist.org/tls/4716430710.html

Long bed, 16" swing South Bend lathe. 9' between centers, 12' overall bed length. Quick change gear box, has taper attachment, steady rest, 3 jaw universal and four jaw independent chuck. Some HSS tool holders included also. 3 phase. Machine has been stored indoors, sprayed with oil occasionally, but has some light surface rust in a few spots which will clean up with a wire wheel. Photos are from when I brought it home, the one of it in the storage container shows that is too cramped for current photos. Aurora is near Kingsford MI. All sensible questions answered through Craigslist. I won't reply to phishing email addresses, nor to "do you have the item" type inquiries. Ad will be deleted when sold.

mattthemuppet

Active User
Nice looking 10x24 logan with a bunch of tooling for $1100 in the center of the known universe (what? you don't know where that is? It's Walla Walla, WA obviously!)

http://kpr.craigslist.org/tls/4736337646.html

I'd be out of here like a shot, but there's no point carrying that with us to wherever we may be moving in a years time.

[6]
[5] [7]