FTV-1 Oil Distribution

akjeff

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Got started on re-doing the oil distribution on my FTV-1. It's a circa 1978 machine, and has the old style pump that's built right into the right side of the saddle. I really like this feature, and intend to keep it, and run it till it fails. For now, the pump works great. However, the meters are plugged up, as are some of the lines and passages. While aesthetically pleasing, having the oil manifolds and all of the lines on the inside of the saddle under the table, make it a PITA to perform any maintenance and/or troubleshooting on the oil system.

So, my plan is to relocate the manifolds over to the left end of the saddle, where the manifolds are normally located on "one shot" oil systems. Also, the four lines( circled in red ) that feed the X and Y ways are simply stuffed into holes in the castings that feed the passages that lube the ways. They're held in place with a blob of some sort of glue. For these lines, I intend to drill and tap for 90 degree compression fittings, and do away with the glue. The Y side of the nut, has the oil line going into a factory hole that I'll likely leave as is. It's facing down, and looks like there's little risk of it slipping out. The X side of the nut, is fed oil via a gooseneck of copper tube that simply hovers over the top of the screw, and dribbles oil on it. For this, I'll drill and tap the nut housing where the red X is, for another 90 degree compression fitting. This will line up with the saw kerf of the split nut inside, which will allow the oil to get all the way through to the screw inside.

Down the road, should the built in oil pump fail, I can simply bolt a Bijur pump to the side of the knee, and plumb it to the now openly accessible manifold, and be back in business. No more taking the machine apart for a basic maintenance task! Parts are on order, and hope to have them by this weekend. Meanwhile, if any of you see any "gotchas" I've overlooked, or have an alternative please chime in.
IMG_7655.JPG

As a service tech, I think that you are gonna be making alot more work for yourself. I had to reline a Lagun just like this one (it had an Anilam 1100 on it that I was changing the screws out on) a few years back and I believe that if you just made sure everything worked now, and put good (and the proper oil) through the system in the future, it would be unnecessary to move things and definitely unnecessary to drill and tap for the way lines.

I guess my end all is if you take care of it, keep your lube tank clean with good way oil, you wont have to be doing this again for the next 40 years.

Jon

Always appreciate your voice of experience here Jon. Perhaps I'll throttle back a bit, and just replace the lines and meters. Have already cleaned the tank, manifolds, and blew out all the passages, and the pump works great. The one for sure thing I'll be doing is putting positive oil control to the X half of the nut. Don't care for the oil just dripping, and running off the screw. Will drill a hole in the nut casting in line with the slot of the split nut( and low enough down the side to clear the underside of the table above ) so the oil goes in the nut where it belongs. I have a bad tendency to overthink, and overdo things.....thanks for the reality check Jon!

Sure thing! I am all for making it easier to service, this just seemed like one of those time where your time and effort would not put you any steps ahead of where you are.

I have been working on a Lagun lube system today as well, so I know exactly what you are going through! Except mine had the funky Lagun ballscrews and the even more weird lube adapters on them.

Jon

Got the oil system re-plumbed today. I moved the manifolds out off the left end of the saddle, so if I have a meter get plugged up, I can get to them without taking the table off. Also drilled a hole in the X axis nut, in line with the "split" in the split nut. Gets the oil directly to the nut, rather than the copper tube that just dripped onto the screw. Stole the idea from one of the many helpful videos from the good folks at H&W. Thanks Barry! Letting the RTV cure overnight, and will give it a test tomorrow before putting the table back on. Gib and split nut are adjusted, but I still need to shim out the end play of the new bearings in the support plate.

IMG_7693.JPG
IMG_7695.JPG

Looks good! It is hard to tell from this angle of the pics, but are the lines going to clear under the screw? They look like they go up pretty high.

Jon

Looks good! It is hard to tell from this angle of the pics, but are the lines going to clear under the screw? They look like they go up pretty high.

Jon

Thanks Jon, and good eye! The lines did indeed rub on the screw. Had to put a standoff between the angle bracket and the saddle to drop it down for clearance.

You would have seen it when it came about. Just wanted to make sure it got addressed.

Jon

Oil is pumping to all ports, adjusted the gibs and split nuts, and she's back in service!

Back