• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Untitled 1

As promised, a formal announcement has been made regarding recent changes in the administrative staff here at H-M.

Please take a few moments to go to our home page and review that announcement.

[4]

G0709 And G0730 Ordered And Expecting Delivery Friday

[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

spring5497

I ordered a G0709 gunsmith lathe and G0730 mill last Friday and I am expecting delivery this Friday. The ordering process was quick and easy, used a 5% off code on the back of my catalog. Liftgate service was $45 and in garage delivery was an additional $35. I figured for an extra $35 the driver could move the 5 pallets of machines I ordered into their intended location in my garage. I am looking forward to making chips. I had the wiring installed last weekend and I have Friday off to accept delivery. I will try to remember to take pictures as I uncrate everything. I know when I was trying to decide it was important to me to see pictures and reviews from everyone I could find.
I narrowed down my choices to the Precision Matthews 1340 and G0709. I choose the G0709 mainly because of the rpms and I didn't have to try and figure out the wiring of a VFD. I communicated with several members and was given good explanations and drawing of how to install a VFD but to be honest I was afraid of burning up a $5,000 machine wiring it myself. From all of the reviews I have read and seen I think the G0709 will exceed my expectations.
The G0730 mill is supposed to be made in Taiwan. If this is true I think I got a hell of a deal for the price they are selling. I was unable to find any reviews on this model and I am hoping it lives up to my expectations based solely on the specifications I read on Grizzly's website.
If all goes well I will have the machines leveled, lubed, oiled, cleaned and under power by the end of the weekend. Hopefully making chips late Sunday (wishful thinking at the least).
If there are any questions I can answer from a member looking at these machines let me know and I will post a reply and or pictures if possible. Please note that it has been 25 years since I have worked with a lathe or mill so I am and will be learning along the way. I do have a great mentor that is and will be assisting me along the way.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Love the choices and looking forward to the pics. :)

Were you comparing to the regular 1340 or the 1340GT?

brino

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Wow, instant shop! Congratulations!

You must be counting down the minutes 'til Friday......

-brino

richl

Active User
You'll be glad you went for the knee, very handy. Love to see the pics of the machines, and some form of review. Best wishes :D

tomh

Yes the G0730 is made in Taiwan. I have owned my G0730 for a little over a year, and so far I am satisfied with it.
It is factory ready for power feed. Bought my PF from enco and had it running within a hour.

I bought the G0730 and the 4003g to replace my wore out iron and haven't looked back
Tomh

spring5497

Love the choices and looking forward to the pics. :)

Were you comparing to the regular 1340 or the 1340GT?
I was comparing the 1340GT. I know it's made in Taiwan and might be a little better machine but wiring a VFD scared me and a single phase rpm is just too fast for threading rifle barrels, in my limited experience. If Matt at Quality Machine would have the option of a VFD installed, I would have probably bought the 1340GT.

spring5497

-brino
I can't wait! UPS tracking is driving me crazy, the shipment has sat in Dallas for 24 hours and it only 9 hours from Albuquerque where it will be transferred to a local freight company for delivery. I spoke with both today and the local freight company said they will be looking for the shipment and will expedite it out of their Albuquerque yard. Took the day off work so I hope they get it taken care of. Sitting on pins and needles right now.

spring5497

Yes the G0730 is made in Taiwan. I have owned my G0730 for a little over a year, and so far I am satisfied with it.
It is factory ready for power feed. Bought my PF from enco and had it running within a hour.

I bought the G0730 and the 4003g to replace my wore out iron and haven't looked back
Tomh
Any issues I need to be on the look out for during set-up and break in?

spring5497

-brino
That is the plan. I will try to take some pictures of the garage as it sits now waiting on the machines. It's a one car garage, wife won't agree to using the 2 car side, so it will be a tight fit but I have spent weeks with a tape measure and the kids chalk mocking everything up to make sure it will fit and allow for movement.
I have plans to build custom rifles and supressors as a business when I retire, so I am starting early setting everything up. I plan to do a few projects a year and slowly build up business so when retirement comes I can enjoy life working for myself instead of Uncle Sam!

brino

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I understand that all two well, I started my floor plan with Visio on the computer and then used tape outlines on the floor. That allowed me to kinda walk thru the future machine landscape to be sure I fit. It worked pretty well......only occasionally do I turn from the lathe and walk into a crank from the mill. One high point for me was getting the mill perfectly aligned to the tape. I wrapped aircraft cable around the base and used a come-along and chains attached to my truck out the rear door of the shop. The final milling machine perouette got it in place...whew!

We cannot get a vehicle into the two car garage......and we get lots of snow and ice. I get to clean off my wife's car first.

I have plans to build custom rifles and supressors as a business when I retire, so I am starting early setting everything up.
That sounds like a great retirement plan. You are smart to invest in your retirement now.

-brino

spring5497

Here is a pic of the shop waiting for the machines. It measures 23' X 10'. It's going to be a little tight but it will do until I build a shop in a few years.

Shop.jpg

spring5497

UPS SUCKS!!!! Just found out my shipment is not scheduled to be delivered until Monday due to it being held in Dallas for about 30 hours. I have had numerous issues with them in the past and I wish companies would allow you the option of UPS or FED EX. The UPS rep stated that since I live in an area they consider rural the expected delivery date is to their hub and not my house. I was advised to contact Grizzly and they could expedite the delivery by paying for the service. My issue is why should Grizzly be required to pay extra when UPS let a shipment sit for 30 hours. Looks like I will have to take another day off work and waste my vacation time because of UPS again. Hopefully Grizzly will come through and make this happen, but I won't blame them for not pay for the expedited service. Did I say UPS SUCKS!!!

Franko

Active User
Awesome machines, spring. I lusted for the G0750 12 x 36 Gunsmith lathe for the last several years. That G0709 is awesome! (I like your choice of mill, too.)

coolidge

Active User
UPS SUCKS!!!! Just found out my shipment is not scheduled to be delivered until Monday due to it being held in Dallas for about 30 hours. I have had numerous issues with them in the past and I wish companies would allow you the option of UPS or FED EX. The UPS rep stated that since I live in an area they consider rural the expected delivery date is to their hub and not my house. I was advised to contact Grizzly and they could expedite the delivery by paying for the service. My issue is why should Grizzly be required to pay extra when UPS let a shipment sit for 30 hours. Looks like I will have to take another day off work and waste my vacation time because of UPS again. Hopefully Grizzly will come through and make this happen, but I won't blame them for not pay for the expedited service. Did I say UPS SUCKS!!!
1 week and a day for a machine freight shipment is pretty fast, you can easily wait 2-3 weeks for an average freight delivery with the machines sitting at a hub for extended periods of time while a trailer fills up for its next leg and its passed from carrier to carrier. Just saying. Congrats on the new machines don't let this minor hiccup get to you.

spring5497

1 week and a day for a machine freight shipment is pretty fast, you can easily wait 2-3 weeks for an average freight delivery with the machines sitting at a hub for extended periods of time while a trailer fills up for its next leg and its passed from carrier to carrier. Just saying. Congrats on the new machines don't let this minor hiccup get to you.
It's not so much the 6 business days it's that UPS said it would be turned over to the other company today and they said if they received it today it would be delivered on Friday. Due to being told all of this I took the day off work, which is no easy task, and now it all for nothing because it probably won't be delivered until Monday and I am not sure how I am going to be here for the delivery. Had they said Monday from the get go it would be an issue.

coolidge

Active User
It's not so much the 6 business days it's that UPS said it would be turned over to the other company today and they said if they received it today it would be delivered on Friday. Due to being told all of this I took the day off work, which is no easy task, and now it all for nothing because it probably won't be delivered until Monday and I am not sure how I am going to be here for the delivery. Had they said Monday from the get go it would be an issue.
Frustrating a bit yes, worth getting worked up about not really. I probably spent 2/3 of my life getting worked up over small stuff like this, trust me its way more relaxing to roll with it. If your lathe arrives broke in half because it fell off the dock that's worth getting worked up about. Choose to enjoy and savor these machine purchases, regardless of the minor irritations. ;)

spring5497

Here's the latest update:
RAC Transport has gone way above and beyond with my shipment and dealing with UPS. The shipment arrived in Albuquerque and RAC sent a truck over to the UPS docks and picked up my machines to get them on the truck to Roswell for delivery tomorrow.

While I was dealing with the machines I received several boxes from Grizzly and thought I would post the pics as a little foreplay for the big boxes.

Tools 1.jpg Tools 1.jpg Chuck.jpg

spring5497

Thanks for the links, I think, as I just spent another couple hundred at lathe inserts.

planeflyer21

Good gravy spring! Grizzly is going to have to restock that warehouse. :chunky:

Like opening a present on Christmas Eve...only increases the anticipation.

spring5497

Well the truck arrived and my god the boxes were huge! truck.jpg

Sitting in the garage waiting to be opened, but have to wait because the wife's car needs to be picked up.
boxes.jpg

spring5497

Finally got the lathe unboxed, that was a chore as Grizzly packaged it very securely.
lathe1.jpg
The leveling feet are installed and the lathe is in it's final resting place. Need to wire it up, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.
lathe2.jpg

The mill is unboxed, but still resting on the pallet. Need help setting it in place so I will have to wait until tomorrow.
mill1.jpg

It's been a stressful couple of days but having these machines in the shop I am relieved and excited, not to mention tired from the un-crating.

coolidge

Active User
Sitting in the garage waiting to be opened, but have to wait because the wife's car needs to be picked up.
Are you daring us to mock you? ;) Congrats on your new machines, say what's the weight limit on those jacks you used to move the lathe?

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director
Where did you find those jacks, I've never seen those before. Looks like a handy tool.

Franko

Active User
Clever lathe moving solution, Spring. Are those organ/piano dollies?

spring5497

Where did you find those jacks, I've never seen those before. Looks like a handy tool.
They are called manual furniture movers, I rented them from the local tool rental store. I googled them and saw you can get them at Northern Tool. They made set-up easy. Just got the mill set in place, pics later tonight after I clean up the pallets.

spring5497

Well it midnight on Sunday morning and I have finally got to a point where I am calling it quits for the night. I have got the mill in it's resting place and started the cleaning. I assembled the bandsaw and sand blasting cabinet and cleaned the shop. It's not as tight as i thought but it's getting there. Here are a few pics to show the progress. Tomorrow I plan to start the break-in process for the mill and lathe.

shop2.jpg

shop3.jpg

shop4.jpg

spring5497

Looking good!! That's one giant air compressor for a shop that size.
I am planning for the future and only plan to buy machinery once, hopefully to last me until I dead and gone. I figured it best to purchase the bigest I can afford that will meet my needs and then in a few years when I build a stand alone shop I won't have to upgrade to a larger item. That's the reason I went with the G0709 at 14x40 was more than I need but with the cost difference and the options I felt it was a better choice than 4003g, it was a tough decision but I only wanted to purchase once.

[6]
[5] [7]