Gage Pins For Parts...?

Thanks Bob, yes, I know. I like working in metric. I think it's a better standard. IMHO.(snip)
Emilio, I worked as a parts guy for 35 years, working on heavy equipment, construction equipment, large and small trucks, cars, and much more. You learn to deal with what you have in front of you. One minute I was sourcing hydraulic parts for a French Poclain loader, next was a Cat 444 scraper, next a Japanese tamper, next an import small car. I owned two cars that had Whitworth fasteners. There are other strange obsolete sizing systems that are still being used, like gas light threads, which I am using on a lathe project now. Elegance is not the issue, finding or making stuff that fits and works is what matters. I worked comfortably in all those systems, switching back and forth seamlessly, and I can and do still do that. Forget elegance, and do what works to get the job done. Changing hats is easier than changing the size of your head. "A better standard" never enters into the picture, at least for me. Sure, use ISO nomenclature for your new parts drawings if you like it best or work with it best, just don't get too tied into the system when looking for materials and parts and trying to get it done...

It is a lot harder to find a 6.35 mm bolt than a 1/4" bolt where you and I live. 8^)

Thanks Bob. I can navigate between metric and imperial with no problem. I have handy con. charts and a calculator. :)
I just prefer metric when possible, but use both systems. Like a lot of people. Thank you.

I read that Vermont Gage pins are made from O1 tool rod, not hardened. They just finish and oxide some of them.

No, they are in fact 52100 (which their catalog doesn't say), hardened to RC60-62 (which their catalog does say). I did the research after we found that our parts made from gage pins held up when parts made from A2 drill rod and hardened did not.

According to the Vermont Gage catalog, they are now using a variety of metals; tungsten carbide, 52100, tool steel, chrome plated tool steel, etc....But yes, you are correct; their cylindrical gage pins are made from 52100 62rc. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks. Just bought some from MSC and McMaster. I didn't need 36" lengths and paid a bit less. Thanks, I will file that link for the future.

Back