Gloves in the shop

Roger Taylor

Registered
Registered
I recently conducted a welder personnel certification test for several welders at a local metal fabrication company. While supervising the test, there was a big hub-bub next store at the small tooling area. Here they had a lathe, mill, band saw and several other machine tools with one toolmaker staffing the shop. Apparently, this fellow was wearing mechanic type gloves and tried to flick a chip off of an end mill on the vertical mill. The result was the loss of the ends of two fingers when the glove material caught and was pulled into the machine tool. I have seen several of the on-line machine tool you-tubers work on rotating machinery with this type of gloved hand protection and feel that it sends a bad example to neophyte and experienced machinists as well. I spent 38 years teaching machine shop at the high school level and gloves were out of place when students left the welding or sheet metal area. Nitrile rubber gloves seem like a good alternative if you don't want to get your hands dirty but anything that can drag you into a rotating machine part should be a no no.

Old retired metal shop teacher

I agree. I have seen too many fingers turned into hamburger over the years from people wearing gloves. :( I don't even like rubber or latex gloves as they dull the sense of feel. Feeling the vibrations in a machine running is important to me as you can tell a lot about what is going on. I often rest one hand somewhere on the machine so I can "feel" changes in it running. I think if you don't want dirty hands, you should not really aspire to be a machinist, but that is my opinion.

Here in Belgium we have to wear gloves at our work, even working on machines. I ones had an accident with a drill press. Tried to remove chips with my hand from the workpiece with the drill still running. I was wearing gloves and got caught by the drill, I did not lose any fingers only minor injury. The assurance company first asked if i was wearing gloves if I didn't i would not get payed for the days i was not able to work.
What I learned is the following. Your hands should never be near a piece that is turning. Want to remove chips? take a brush or use a tool to remove the chips.

A few cuts and oil come wit the job........or be a cook! Not that I don't cook too but not with gloves either.........
I agree. I have seen too many fingers turned into hamburger over the years from people wearing gloves. :( I don't even like rubber or latex gloves as they dull the sense of feel. Feeling the vibrations in a machine running is important to me as you can tell a lot about what is going on. I often rest one hand somewhere on the machine so I can "feel" changes in it running. I think if you don't want dirty hands, you should not really aspire to be a machinist, but that is my opinion.

gloves are for working with chemicals, not running machines. The only time I wear gloves working with power tools is with the welder, some grinding operations, and the chainsaw. Splinter/bug protection. If I pick up so much as a screwdriver, safety glasses go on.

I think it is prudent to always brush off chips with a long handle brush and if necessary pull long chips out with smooth handle needle nose. I do wear disposable nitrile gloves when I am working on brass clock parts and plates. I hate getting them in for repair seeing previous repairers finger prints etched into the plates.

David

Many shops do not allow watches or rings to be worn. Long hair and neck chains are also forbidden.

with rotating machinery, rings off, watches off, sleeves rolled to the elbows, no loose clothing or necklaces, long hair tied back (the pic is me in the eighties, I now have dreads down to my Ar*e, which I have in a hairnet/old pair of tights at work.) and definitely NO GLOVES.

The worst kind of gloves are the knitted fabric type. I saw a guy last year who got one of these hooked in a bandsaw and cut his hand off. It was reattached but functions poorly. Please be careful out there!
R

Back