GMC pickup help....

Discussion in 'CLASSIC CARS, PLANES, TRAINS, HELICOPTERS & ROCKETS' started by Tamper84, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Tamper84

Tamper84 Active User Supporter Active Member

City:
    Clarington
    State:
    Ohio
    Hey guys, I know that this isn't a mechanics forum, but the place feels like home to me and I figured I would ask. I have an 86 gmc 3/4 ton that has started a pretty big oil leak. It's either the rear main or coming from the back of intake. The problem is, I need help identifying the engine. The p.o. told me its a 283 out of a 69 Chevelle, but I do know they stopped making the 283 in 66 or 67. But considering the size I do believe it is a 283. (Before this truck I have been an all Ford guy) But is there any way to tell what engine I have so I get the right gaskets?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. RandyM

RandyM Global Moderator Staff Member Supporter Active Member

City:
    Stoughton
    State:
    Wisconsin
    This will take a little research on your part. You'll need the block casting and stamping numbers. Here is a website that can get you started in the right direction.

http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.php

Hope this helps.

3. Tamper84

City:
    Clarington
    State:
    Ohio
    Randy thank you for the site. I will have to check it out.

Bill I will post a picture when I get home. Other then this oil leak it does run pretty good. And that's why I was thinking its not a 69 motor. I'm just hoping if it is the rear main, it still doesn't have the rope seal in it!!

Thanks,
    Chris

4. Bill Gruby

Bill Gruby Global Moderator Staff Member Supporter Active Member

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut
    GM produced the 283 from 1957-1967. The 1969 Chevelles had 350 HP 396's in them. Can you post a picture of the engine? I deleter the first post because of the 350 error.

http://www.enginefactory.com/Chevelle.htm

"Billy G"

5. Bill Gruby

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut
    Sounds like you have the HO 350 engine. They were a bear. We called them "Stump Pullers". They were a high torque engine. Team that engine with a Muncie M22 "Rock Crusher" 4 speed and it was unstoppable. Guess I ain't as old as I thought. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

http://www.oldride.com/library/1969_chevrolet_chevelle.html

"Billy G" :thinking:

6. Tamper84

City:
    Clarington
    State:
    Ohio
    Well if it is a ho engine it's sicker then I thought lol. This motor isn't a power house lol. But I'm at work right now posting from my iPhone :whistle: So I will post a picture when I get to the house. Probably around 3:30 or so.

Thanks,
    Chris

7. Bill Gruby

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut
    Where is my head this morning. I shoud have said 2nd generation HO. But then everyone has there own opinion of the HO. 350-350 in a 70 Elcamino does weird things. :lmao::lmao:

"Billy G"

8. Bill Gruby

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut
    Hmmm -- Giving this some thought I went to the book and it seems the HO first went into Pontiacs in 1968. It just might be one. Some were good, some weren't acording to GM stats.

9. Tamper84

City:
    Clarington
    State:
    Ohio
    Here are some pictures. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Bill Gruby

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut
    Not a 283. Cheverolet was stamped from the inside of the valve covers. Aso that is not a 283 exaust manifold. Looks like a 350 to me. Here are the block casting numbers in order of production.

http://www.thedirtforum.com/castings.htm

11. Bill Gruby

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut
    Early 283, late 283. Note the oil filler tube on both.

Billy G" :))

Attached Files:

12. Tamper84

City:
    Clarington
    State:
    Ohio
    Hmmmm...now Im really thinking here..:thinking: Bad things may happen lol. Thank you Bill!!! It is appreciated. Now Im going to have to find casting numbers.........

Thanks,
    Chris

13. Tamper84

City:
    Clarington
    State:
    Ohio
    I have through both web pages. But one question I still have before I head back out. Where are the casting numbers? Or are they stamped or cast into the block?

Thanks,
    Chris

14. Bill Gruby

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut
    Chris -- I have never had to look for them but the last list I gave you says they are at the top of the block. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

"Billy G" :))

15. j1w2t3

j1w2t3 Iron Active Member

City:
    abbeville
    State:
    Georgia
    tamper be sure to check the oil pressure sending unit and the pcv valve

16. Bill Gruby

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut
  17. Tamper84

City:
    Clarington
    State:
    Ohio
    Thank you guys. I have found the casting number. 3896944 and according to the chart its a 283 made between 65-67. It is in a rough spot to get to. I had to use my fiancees mirror from a compact to see it! I have absolutely no clue why it doesn't look like your pics Bill. But it does have an aluminum Edelbrock intake on it. The valve covers, I have no idea...

j1w2t3, if those places are bad, would it leak a whole bunch of oil? Its a pretty bad leak. Although back there by the distributor is pretty wet along with the whole back of the motor. I'm about tempted to just buy a whole gasket kit and put it all in. I just hope it still doesn't have the rope seals in the mains. Maybe I will be lucky and be able to get the distributor back in the right spot the first time lol :lmao:

Thanks,
    Chris

18. j1w2t3

j1w2t3 Iron Active Member

City:
    abbeville
    State:
    Georgia
    yes a oil sender can leak alot of oil and i think it should be at the back by the distributor.

19. Bill Gruby

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut
    In the GM world of engines there are many aftermarket parts that change the configuration of an engine. The manifold probably masks the oil filler hole and it has 350 valve covers with the fill from there. Main thing is that you found what you are looking for. Also you found out this Forum has a place for everyone. Good Luck Chris, it was a pleasure.

"Billy G" :))

Forgot -- The oil sending unit is on top of the block behind the distributor. It will cause a leak like you first discribed. Oil will be all over the back of the engine and firewall.

20. Tamper84

City:
    Clarington
    State:
    Ohio
    Thank you guys! I hoping that's it. But knowing my luck lol. And thank you all for the help! I'm not a mechanic but I stayed at a holiday inn last night lol. It is really cramped in there to fix anything. I am seriously thinking of throwing a whole gasket kit in it. Just to be sure, I do know I got a leak on the valve cover.

Thanks,
    Chris