GMC pickup help....

Tamper84

Active User
Registered
Hey guys, I know that this isn't a mechanics forum, but the place feels like home to me and I figured I would ask. I have an 86 gmc 3/4 ton that has started a pretty big oil leak. It's either the rear main or coming from the back of intake. The problem is, I need help identifying the engine. The p.o. told me its a 283 out of a 69 Chevelle, but I do know they stopped making the 283 in 66 or 67. But considering the size I do believe it is a 283. (Before this truck I have been an all Ford guy) But is there any way to tell what engine I have so I get the right gaskets?

Thanks,
Chris

Randy thank you for the site. I will have to check it out.

Bill I will post a picture when I get home. Other then this oil leak it does run pretty good. And that's why I was thinking its not a 69 motor. I'm just hoping if it is the rear main, it still doesn't have the rope seal in it!!

Thanks,
Chris

Sounds like you have the HO 350 engine. They were a bear. We called them "Stump Pullers". They were a high torque engine. Team that engine with a Muncie M22 "Rock Crusher" 4 speed and it was unstoppable. Guess I ain't as old as I thought. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

http://www.oldride.com/library/1969_chevrolet_chevelle.html

"Billy G" :thinking:

Well if it is a ho engine it's sicker then I thought lol. This motor isn't a power house lol. But I'm at work right now posting from my iPhone :whistle: So I will post a picture when I get to the house. Probably around 3:30 or so.

Thanks,
Chris

Where is my head this morning. I shoud have said 2nd generation HO. But then everyone has there own opinion of the HO. 350-350 in a 70 Elcamino does weird things. :lmao::lmao:

"Billy G"

Hmmm -- Giving this some thought I went to the book and it seems the HO first went into Pontiacs in 1968. It just might be one. Some were good, some weren't acording to GM stats.

Not a 283. Cheverolet was stamped from the inside of the valve covers. Aso that is not a 283 exaust manifold. Looks like a 350 to me. Here are the block casting numbers in order of production.

http://www.thedirtforum.com/castings.htm

Back