GMC pickup help....

Early 283, late 283. Note the oil filler tube on both.

Billy G" :))

chevy-283-cid-v-8-engine-vertical.jpg pic-g.jpg

Hmmmm...now Im really thinking here..:thinking: Bad things may happen lol. Thank you Bill!!! It is appreciated. Now Im going to have to find casting numbers.........

Thanks,
Chris

I have through both web pages. But one question I still have before I head back out. Where are the casting numbers? Or are they stamped or cast into the block?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris -- I have never had to look for them but the last list I gave you says they are at the top of the block. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

"Billy G" :))

tamper be sure to check the oil pressure sending unit and the pcv valve

Thank you guys. I have found the casting number. 3896944 and according to the chart its a 283 made between 65-67. It is in a rough spot to get to. I had to use my fiancees mirror from a compact to see it! I have absolutely no clue why it doesn't look like your pics Bill. But it does have an aluminum Edelbrock intake on it. The valve covers, I have no idea...

j1w2t3, if those places are bad, would it leak a whole bunch of oil? Its a pretty bad leak. Although back there by the distributor is pretty wet along with the whole back of the motor. I'm about tempted to just buy a whole gasket kit and put it all in. I just hope it still doesn't have the rope seals in the mains. Maybe I will be lucky and be able to get the distributor back in the right spot the first time lol :lmao:

Thanks,
Chris

yes a oil sender can leak alot of oil and i think it should be at the back by the distributor.

In the GM world of engines there are many aftermarket parts that change the configuration of an engine. The manifold probably masks the oil filler hole and it has 350 valve covers with the fill from there. Main thing is that you found what you are looking for. Also you found out this Forum has a place for everyone. Good Luck Chris, it was a pleasure.

"Billy G" :))

Forgot -- The oil sending unit is on top of the block behind the distributor. It will cause a leak like you first discribed. Oil will be all over the back of the engine and firewall.

Thank you guys! I hoping that's it. But knowing my luck lol. And thank you all for the help! I'm not a mechanic but I stayed at a holiday inn last night lol. It is really cramped in there to fix anything. I am seriously thinking of throwing a whole gasket kit in it. Just to be sure, I do know I got a leak on the valve cover.

Thanks,
Chris

Back