Gnome Rotary Engine

T

Tom Griffin

Forum Guest
Register Today
This is one of those on again off again projects that I've been working on for some time. It's loosely based on the Gnome type N nine cylinder. I originally intended to actually use it on a radio controlled quarter scale Nieuport 28, so I thought it would be wise to actually build two engines at the same time, just in case. Besides, most of the work in parts like this is in set-up so an extra set is actually very little extra work. So far I've completed the crankshaft, front and rear crankcase covers, cams, most of the parts associated with spark timing and the cylinder liners. I also got a good start on the finned part of the cylinders and I made a somewhat lame first attempt at casting the crankcase. I still need to make the master and slave connecting rods, pistons, re-design and build the valve train assembly (I don't care for the original design), and recast the crankcase. I also need to make some spark plugs at some point.

Tom

322.JPG

323.JPG

324.JPG

325.JPG

326.JPG

322.JPG

322.JPG

323.JPG

323.JPG

324.JPG

324.JPG

325.JPG

325.JPG

326.JPG

326.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool project. I'd love to see more of it as you work on it.

-Ron

Thanks Ron.

Getting the parts out to photograph has re-kindled my interest. Maybe I'll move this project up the list a bit.

Tom

Bill,

I'm gonna finish the single shot rifle first and when that is done I'll take another look at the Gnome. There are too many unfinished projects in the que at the moment and I need to check a few off the list. The problem with the Gnome is that once that's done it will automatically generate another project, a Nieuport 28 to fly it in.

I have been thinking about casting some metal though. If nothing else, there could be a crankcase in the works for this summer.

Tom

Bill,

I'm gonna finish the single shot rifle first and when that is done I'll take another look at the Gnome. There are too many unfinished projects in the que at the moment and I need to check a few off the list. The problem with the Gnome is that once that's done it will automatically generate another project, a Nieuport 28 to fly it in.

I have been thinking about casting some metal though. If nothing else, there could be a crankcase in the works for this summer.

Tom

Tom,

Beautiful work so far - very impressive! What was wrong with the casting? Sure doesn't look bad but guess getting the draft right on something that complicated could be problematic.

In the event you do get back and start pouring casting, might not be a bad idea to offer some for sale as I'm sure you'll get some takers.

Tom,

Beautiful work so far - very impressive! What was wrong with the casting? Sure doesn't look bad but guess getting the draft right on something that complicated could be problematic.

In the event you do get back and start pouring casting, might not be a bad idea to offer some for sale as I'm sure you'll get some takers.

Thanks Mike.

The aluminum wasn't hot enough on the first try so the mold didn't fill all the way. Of course there are nine cylinders so I guess one less wouldn't make that much difference. ;)

Tom

Thanks Mike.

The aluminum wasn't hot enough on the first try so the mold didn't fill all the way. Of course there are nine cylinders so I guess one less wouldn't make that much difference. ;)

Tom

Tom,

I could be wrong, but somehow I think an 8 1/2 cylinder might have timing problems!

I've never done any casting - is it something I need to look into?

Back