Go easy on me. First lathe "Project"

Threadkiller

Registered
Registered
IMG_5205.JPG Hey all. Ive been super interested in machining and metalworking for a long time. I just got my first lathe, a southbend 9A from 1946 I believe. Ive never really ran a lathe before so this is my first "project". The wife needed a thimble so instead of probably being able to buy one for $1 I thought I would take an hour and make one on the lathe. Long story short, I need help lol. Aside from Youtube videos and reading does anyone know where I can go for a class or something? Does anyone local want to teach me the fundamentals? Ha. I couldn't finish facing off the top of the thimble because I couldn't chuck it up tight enough as I was worried about crushing the thimble. Should have done that before I bored it out.

Make thimble on end of round stock backwards and close to chuck.

Complete shape first then knurling followed by bore to make it fit...All of this while still at end of round stock.

Knurling is done while it is solid!

When finished part off.

To finish the top place a wooden dowel in the chuck and tap the art on it to hold then finish with file.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

[QUOTE="Threadkiller, post: 464879, member: 29925" The wife needed a thimble so instead of probably being able to buy one for $1 I thought I would take an hour and make one on the lathe. [/QUOTE]

Hi Threadkiller,
you do just fine, if you'll keep this attitude.
a lot of what we do is delayed gratification.
there is no shame in making mistakes, sometimes messing up is the best way to learn how not to do things.

as a suggestion, do a google search for a makerspace in your area.
for the uninitiated, a makerspace is a fee based DIY machining center that has (not all locations have all of the post mentioned) tools, machinery, cnc machinery , materials, & other cool related offerings
most times there are some smart people that can offer encouragement and information

i hope you enjoy the time you spend in the shop!
all the best

Last edited:
All I can say is that most of that knurling is pretty darn good for a first time. Practice and order of operations.

David

Chuck up a bit of stock and cut it to a close profile to the inside of the thimble, and super glue it on. Gently finish it. Soak it off of the stub with acetone.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

For anything even slightly complex, I will still make a series of rough little (maybe 2"x2") sketches of how I'm holding it and how I'm applying the tool, just to be sure that my order of operations does not "paint me into a corner".
-brino

Wow you guys are awesome, thank you for all the kind words and constructive criticism/tips.

RandyM, I am definitely going to make another one. It didn't quite fit my wifes thumb. I was so focused on trying not to screw up too badly that I made the OD to the measurements I took of her thumb not the ID :(:oops:

TQ60, I didn't even think of making it backwards. Thank you for that. These are the kinds of things why I would love to know someone to mentor me. Just a silly thing that once you pointed out is common sense, but I didn't think of it.

Ulmadoctor, thank you, I do enjoy my time spent in the shop even if im screwing things up im usually learning something. The makerspace thing is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. There are no classes in my area for anything machining related, at least the basics and fundamentals. Im definitely going to look for that thank you.

DavidS thank you for the kind words, I will keep practicing!

Willthedancer thank you for the tip! that will definitely come in handy

Brino that's a great idea because at the end when I was trying to finish the top I realized I painted myself into a corner as you put it. Im not the best with planning things out like that but its definitely a good thing to work into the project.

Hawkeye, not sure if you were making a joke but it made me lol please post a pic when youre done!

Firestopper, another feature I wasn't aware of with this website. I will check that out thank you. Im not going to stop practicing!

Again thank you all for taking the time out to help a complete newb

Back