Going To Look At Shizuoka Mill Any Info Would Help

Playingwithmetal

Registered
Registered
IMG_4271.JPG IMG_4270.JPG IMG_4269.JPG As the title says I am going to look at a Shizuoka used mill. The person selling it dosent know anything about it. (Was her husbands). She thinks it's a cnc but I can't tell from the bad photos provided. I have been looking to buy a used cnc knee mill for a while. I would like to get a machine that can also be ran manually as well. If any of you could give me any info as to what I am looking at in the photos it would really help. I am going to look at it tomorrow and it's about a 3 hour drive each way so its very likely could be a wasted trip. But the price makes me want to chance it. My first question is if the machine can be ran manually and if the cnc system is obsolete. As well as any info on the machine itself. Were they good mills? Are they're common issues to look for when inspecting it? The location of the machine does not have 3 phase power so I will not be able to test it. Also this would be my first cnc machine and will be learning on it. So I would like to know if this would be a decent place to start. That's the other reason I would like it to be able to run manually so I could work on it as I learn to program it also.
Thanks

i have no input other then it looks to be quite a heavy machine , and theres a very large amount of tooling shown in the pics .
if the tooling is included don't forget to take it into consideration . i can see a few thousand bucks without looking real close

Well you are in luck. I have one just like it sitting in my shop. It is definitely a CNC, but I don't think it has manual capability unless there has been some modification done. You could put handwheels on it without too much trouble. Yeah, it's heavy, around 5000# A very well built machine. From the pictures it looks like it comes with quite a bit of tooling. Look for the normal wear places as best you can. The ways are hard chromed, this machine was designed to be in continuous service. Everything is over built.

Has a 24 position tool changer, power drawbar. 11x50 table, about 30x16 work envelope. 4 HP spindle motor, probably a #40 spindle. Looks like some kind of a winch arrangement attached to the table, maybe for lifting the vice????

I have no idea what controls it might have on it, not visible in the pictures.

I'll try to answer any other questions you have.

Wow. Thanks for the info. I am very happy to hear it has power draw bar. What type of tool changer is it? It can automatically change tools? In the $3000 range would it be a good deal? I would have to figure out a way of getting it to my home shop. I was thinking a rigging company. Or renting a flatbed truck and a forklift. Any idea of the cost of moving the machine 200 miles. ?
Thanks for the replies.
I was told it works and wan being used a couple months ago. Some of the tooling is included and the rest is for sale.

Here is the tool changer in action

$3000, well it depends ;) Alloy bought the one sitting in my shop for $2500. It was a basket case. Good bones, but needed a lot of work. Mechanical was fine, but no controls at all. We got three servomotors and drives in a milk crate and little else. A few tool holders came with it but no other tooling. As far as foot print, I would say you need about 8 feet square.

You might enjoy the following

This link starts the saga http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/just-bought-a-shizouka-an-s.32647/

This link is the continuation http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/shizouka-an-s-build.33868/

Here is a link to the manual http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/shizouka-an-s.2761/

damn. I wish stuff like that was similarly priced around here...it would go for double or triple that here + the exchange rate.

Back