Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

how about clearing swarf on the lathe. Never ever use ones hands to push, clear, untangle the swarf building up. Use a brush to push it away or perhaps smooth handled pliers to try and grab some. The idea is that you don't want the pliers to get caught and pull your hand into the works.

Best of all turn off machine and remove the swarf and build up.

David

I have a pair of H-F needle nose pliers at each lathe for removing stringers, balls, etc. from the cutting tools. I learned way early in life, they will slice fingers all the way to the bones! Still give me the hibby-gibbies thinking about it..

I was drilling a hole in a spinning piece with the tailstock. After checking that the quill was clear of the tooling in the QCTP I began drilling the hole It was a small deep hole so I was pecking and suddenly I heard a rubbing noise. A tool holder was rubbing the spinning chuck. Because I was going slow it barely left a mark but could have been a real crash. I turned out that although the quill was clear, there was a bolt sticking out the bottom f it that was out of view from above. It touched the tooling and It was pushing the whole carriage along with it.

On the weekend I was turning a flange on the face plate. I only had 1/8" clearance between the part and the ways. I made about 4 passes with a boring bar. Then I pulled the lever up to stop the lathe and I cranked the carriage out of the way to measure. The aluminum cover that protects the ways must have been sticking up some on the end and caught the still spinning piece and broke it right off.
Looks like a tig welding project this week end:(
Martin W

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did someone delete MY goof?

My Hardinge HLVH starts up at 3000 RPM in a half second or so. Forward and reverse are buttons down on the cabinet. To unscrew a collet, I had reversed the lathe. I started the lathe up without looking at it starting,and using a collet to hold the brass rod I was working on. For some reason my tool would not cut. Then,I found out I had left the lathe in reverse!! Give me a chance to learn. I have only been using that lathe since the late 80's!!

Don't ever p*** on an electric fence, no matter how many beers you've had and who dares you.
Never ever leave the chuck wrench in the chuck before turning it on
kill all the power to a machine before replacing collets. A Mr. Sajo taught me that one!
Insure you tighten the clamp bolts on a round column mill-drill--took me two 1/2" carbide end mills back to back to learn that one
And many more
olcopper

Not life threatening or even machining related but here's one to avoid. Years ago, I was into developing my own color slides. I was in the process of developing the slides from a three week vacation out West and had loaded two rolls of film into a light tight cassette. I set it down to do and another task and, on returning, opened the cassette in bright light to see if I had loaded the film. Doh!:headache:

Back