Got My First Lathe... Logan 1875 - With Restoration.

While restoring this lathe, Questions concerning Oilite bearings and electrolysis came into question..
I did some research on Oilite bearings, there is lots of info on the subject along with some bad & misinformed info on the net.

The most important Question about oilite bearings is, can they be re-impregnated with oil.. Answer is Yes.
Another important Question about an oilite bearing is, can they be machined.. Answer is Yes.
should you grind sand or polish an Oilite bearing, Answer is No. These actions will close/clog the pores.

This site has some techincal info on the subject. Machining Oilite Bearings.
And this one you'll have to read threw for the recommended procedures of oil re-impregnation, not a direct link but can be found on this Bowman Oilite Page.

There are two recommended ways to rejuvenate an Oilite bearing, Note: some application require a specific Oil Type such as in contact with food.

1. Fully submerged and heat an Oilite bearing in oil to 80 deg Celsius or about 175 deg Fahrenheit, let the oil submerged bearing cool off completely. remove, wipe excess oil from bearing and its ready for use.

2. Use of a vacuum pump. Fully submerged an Oilite bearing in a light weight oil in a container, apply a vacuum to the container to pull air & moisture from the voids in the bearing for a few minutes, release the vacuum and oil will be pulled back into the voids.

While there are other recipes found on the web.. Those links are from competent sources so ill just head down that route. Till next time.. Mike.

Ps.. SAE 20wt Oil for re-lubing - I could not find an answer if this was a none detergent oil, I would think a none detergent oil because oils with detergents are used in high temp applications like engines.

Last edited:
My first re-assembly photo procedure, the reversing lever assembly for the Logan 1875 lathe.
On my parts diagram it shows two rubber Orings, that fit in groves along the shaft that seats
on the spindle head, My lever does not have groves or orings.

This photo shows all the components that make up the reversing lever.
I will be using just a small dab of blue locktight on the threads during final assembly.
If it rides on a shaft it will be pre-oiled and all gear teeth will have a coat of graphite grease.
ReversLeverPartsAll.jpgReversLeverPartsAssm1.jpgReversLeverPartsAssm2.jpg

Take note of the Oilite Bearings in the two gears, see my previous post about how you can
rejuvenate them using a vacuum, if they are worn out you should replace them. once they
are assembled there is no way to oil them - the gears shown installed ride on a shaft that
has a felt wick to dispense oil along the shaft.
ReversLeverPartsAssm3.jpgReversLeverPartsAssm4.jpg
ReversLeverPartsAssm5.jpg

Arrow is pointing to the oil hole which leads to the felt wick.
ReversLeverPartsAssm6.jpg
ReversLeverPartsAssm7.jpg
ReversLeverPartsAssm8.jpg

If you need a different view added here let me know, ill add it, there will be other assembly
views when its painted and reattached to the spindle head.. Mike.

ReversLeverPartsAssm4.jpg

Last edited:
I started using Evapo-rust on some small parts.. with excellent results so far. Nuts, Bolts & Washers but tonight I'm taking the worst rust covered bolt, nut & washers and doing a comparison test. The Nut, bolt and washers at the top of the photo will get an electrolysis bath and the remaing Nuts, Bolts & Washers will go in the Evapo-Rust.

Tomorrow morning I'll pull them all out check the results, And edit this post to show it. None of these samples are terribly rusted - Just heavy surface rust mostly and the worst one I found at the bottom of the Motor Cabinet looks worse then it is.

I have absolutely abused the use of Electrolysis during this project because it was new and fun.. I did allot research and testing to see what happens when I change properties of the test, and I've learned a bunch.

For me I think there really is a middle ground for the the use of both Evapo-Rust and Electrolysis.
Can't wait till morning to see the results because these are mostly Identical parts used for this comparison test which is rare.
See you all tomorrow.. Mike.

EvapVsElectTest.jpg

The end results.. Both methods of rust removal leave behind a film layer. If Appearance is a
none issue then the Nuts & Bolts from the Evapo-Rust bath are ready for use.

The test subjects were dipped in acetone immediately after being removed from the rust
removal process.

EvaporustTest2.jpg

Using a Scotch Bright Pad, Both took about the same amount of time and effort to get to a
nice shine. The electrolysis bolt came out somewhat shinier- but may have been shinier to
begin with.. Very fine Scotch Bright pads are all that I use to shine stuff up, On the threads I
cheat and use a Dremel Tool with a wire wheel to clean out any left over crud.

EvaporustTest.jpg

Of course no real conclusions can be made from just one or even ten tests. I spent about 5
minutes each shinning these Bolts up, both were a success and look great to me.

Evapo-Rust is a bit costly so Ill reserve its use for small parts that fit in a small coffee can.
Small parts are also a hassle to use electrolysis on so the two methods are complimentary.

EvaporustTest3.jpg

Last edited:
I Worked on the Spindle Pulley & Bull Gear over the weekend..

The spindle pulley just removed from the head assembly..
SpindlePulleyDirty.jpg

This Spindle Pulley Is actually two Parts, This screw keeps the gear mated to the Spindle Pulley.
Just a short turn and you'll see the oil access hole for the, lol oiless bearings.. The advantage
to tearing this whole lathe down is learning where and what lay hidden.
SpindlePulleyDirty1.jpg
SpindlePulleyDirty2.jpg

Spindle Pulley after Electrolysis.. Note the Alignment and Oil holes.
SpindlePulleyElectrolysis.jpg

All cleaned Up.. I really need to find a way to protect items like this from Re-Rusting, It took
about an hour to fully clean the gray film left from the electrolytic bath. This an all other parts
that have Oilless bearing will get a 2hr oil bath in SAE 20 none detergent oil at 180 deg.
SpindlePulleyDone.jpg
SpindlePulleyDone1.jpg

The Bull Gear just removed from the assembly..
I was relived after I removed the Bull Gear and cleaned it, I found no cracked or damaged teeth.
BullGearDirty.jpg

The Bull Gear after electrolysis.. No pre-cleaning is needed, Everything comes out of electrolysis oil, grime & rust free.
It took about 20 minutes to shine it up from this point..
BullGearElectrolysis.jpg

The finished Bull Gear..
BullGearClean.jpg

The Bull Gear locking pin Re-assembled..
BullGearParts.jpg
BullGearAssm.jpg

I had to stop by PPG to get more Scotch-Brite pads for a $1.99 Ea.. A good deal.. this and Extra fine is all I use to clean up everything.
The big orange box sells 2 half pads which is the same as this pad, for about double the price.
UltraFineScotchBright.jpg

More to come soon..!
The paint on the Lathe bed, Supports and cabinets have had time to thoroughly dry and are ready for assembly next.

Last edited:
Great job, Mike! Some lucky guy with a Logan to restore is going to thank you for your detailed pics and discussion.

Are you planning on using this lathe to make chips? I mean, that might get it dirty and that's a real concern. :nail biter:

Mr Mike, you are having way too much fun. I am very envious. You are doing a great job. :encourage: Keep up the good work.

Mikey, your jealousy is showing. :grin:

Mr Mike, old lathes are supposed to look... OLD! Well, I guess you do not subscribe to that concept.
Very nice restoration, can't wait to see it finished.

Great job, Mike! Some lucky guy with a Logan to restore is going to thank you for your detailed pics and discussion.

Are you planning on using this lathe to make chips? I mean, that might get it dirty and that's a real concern. :nail biter:
Mr Mike, you are having way too much fun. I am very envious. You are doing a great job. :encourage: Keep up the good work.

Mikey, your jealousy is showing. :grin:
Mr Mike, old lathes are supposed to look... OLD! Well, I guess you do not subscribe to that concept.
Very nice restoration, can't wait to see it finished.

Hi mikey, RandyM & Bob Korves. Thanks for the compliments... And thank you guys for helping me with this project.!

Mikey.. I will absolutely be making chips on this lathe, All I ask for is a lathe in great working condition, in order for me to know that - I need to rebuild it myself. This has also been a fun learning project too, I can now visually identify and name every part and purpose except the quick change gear box and carriage, I haven't started restoring those components yet. Very soon ill be making chips, 6 months tops..

Randy M, Don't tell anyone but I have a slight case of OCD, So I tend to over do things till their the best I can get them... Its a fault - But I need it right to start with so I only have myself to blame for errors, going through this has been allot of fun.. great project.. thanks for helping.

Bob Korves, you have been a good voice of reason, and I do see your point about an old lathe should be what it is... I could have saved up and bought a new lathe, but I my mind couldn't justify the purchase, But I can trick my self into buying one thats used and spend additional funds making it look fresh, because I will learn much along the way, Kinda like a paid education.. worth every dime.

Soon I'll be begging you guys for help on how to use it - Hope you guys don't mind...:)

Thanks Mike.

Last edited:
Reactions: Z2V
Every one of us understands the drive you have, Mike. It might surprise you to know how many of us have completely taken our machines apart and refreshed them. We're mostly teasing you while also praising the job you've done - you're doing an excellent job of documenting your journey and this will help those who follow behind you. OCD? Check. Want your machine in top condition? Check. Possibly spending more to refurbish an old lathe than a new one cost? Check. You fit in here juuust about right, Mike! If you ask a question on using that lathe, I'm going to chip in some advice because I want to help you dirty it up!!

Hi mikey, RandyM & Bob Korves. Thanks for the compliments... And thank you guys for helping me with this project.!

Mikey.. I will absolutely be making chips on this lathe, All I ask for is a lathe in great working condition, in order for me to know that - I need to rebuild it myself. This has also been a fun learning project too, I can now visually identify and name every part and purpose except the quick change gear box and carriage, I haven't started restoring those components yet. Very soon ill be making chips, 6 months tops..

Randy M, Don't tell anyone but I have a slight case of OCD, So I tend to over do things till their the best I can get them... Its a fault - But I need it right to start with so I only have myself to blame for errors, going through this has been allot of fun.. great project.. thanks for helping.

Mike, we are birds of a feather. Buried in that line of thinking is all the fun you are having. There some that will never understand the joy of do a total reconstruction and doing it correctly. Money and time always gets in their way. Oh, I don't think you are over doing anything, you are doing it correctly and proper. You are going to have a really nice machine that you can be very proud of and will last you until you are finished with it. Keep up the good work.

Bob Korves, you have been a good voice of reason, and I do see your point about an old lathe should be what it is... I could have saved up and bought a new lathe, but I my mind couldn't justify the purchase, But I can trick my self into buying one thats used and spend additional funds making it look fresh, because I will learn much along the way, Kinda like a paid education.. worth every dime.

Soon I'll be begging you guys for help on how to use it - Hope you guys don't mind...:)

Thanks Mike.

We are waiting in anticipation and highly looking forward to helping you with your projects. :encourage:

Back