Gunsmithing FFL

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Is there a difference between a retail FFL and one for gunsmithing?

Bill

Yes and no, it's my understanding you must have a FFL to do gunsmithing if the customer leaves the gun. It must be logged in and out the reason for the FFL is that if the customer doesn't pick the gun up then you may sell it making you a normal firearms dealer. Primary difference when I read was as a seller you must list your public hours in which at anytime the BATF may inspect, as a gunsmith you may set your hours as appointment only.

Been awhile since I read up on it but the BATF's website is pretty complete and fairly easy to find the info you need. You must have the proper zoning and business license my side of the street is housing the other side is light industrial so I would have to seek a variance before I could apply.

There is a difference between the FFL used to repair firearms and the one used to manufacture them. Decide which one you want based on the ATF description. Note that changing something as simple as a firearms caliber counts as manufacturing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There is a difference between the FFL used to repair firearms and the one used to manufacture them. Decide which one you want based on the ATF description. Note that changing something as simple as a firearms caliber counts as manufacturing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So if I convert a 1911 in .45 cal to 10mm I need a manufacturers license?

Bill

The way I understand it, unless you are changing calibers as a business, for a customer, you have nothing to worry about. SOT/02/07 licensing pertains to that aspect. FFL 01's are not licensed to make or manufacture for sale any firearms....02's and 07's are different, and fees are much higher for those licenses, as well as corresponding paperwork requirements. There are numerous caliber conversion kits available for AR platforms, as well as many other type firearms......no special license required to change your own weapons.....

At least that is the way I understand it, and have been living by that philosophy for 30+ years......do correct me if I deserve to be in prison.....:thinking:

To make sure I understand:

If I have a gunsmithing business, and modify a customers gun to a different caliber and charge him for it I am a manufacturer.

If that is indeed true, then many of the gunsmiths I have met over the years have the wrong license. :bitingnails:

Bill

If I have a gunsmithing business, and modify a customers gun to a different caliber and charge him for it I am a manufacturer.

If that is indeed true, then many of the gunsmiths I have met over the years have the wrong license. :bitingnails:

Bill

Bill,

Years ago, one of my (many) jobs while working through college was managing a gunshop. We had a full-time gunsmith. Anyhow, times have changed and the types of FFLs seem to have changed as well so, I'm not in a position to pass along any words of wisdom or advise -other than this. If you want to know the score on FFL rules, call the ATF, setup an appointment with a field agent/inspector and ask direct questions. Another thing I learned, is there are so many written rules and guidelines that the more you try to read it, the more confused you get. When push comes to shove, it's the local agent/inspector who decides if you're breaking the rules or not. Finally, all the agents I ever dealt with weren't bad guys at all and were pretty helpful and friendly. As long as you're not intentionally doing underhanded things (which I'm sure you have no intention of doing) those guys are good to know and I always viewed them as resources of information rather than an annoyance that had to be dealt with.

Ray

Bill

I guess that came out wrong. I apologize. To the best of my knowledge [and I am a licensed gunsmith] doing caliber conversions is fine - I have never seen or heard of an issue with ATF concerning this.

IF you hold a 07 or 02 license you likely would be manufacturing, as that is what your license reads. If changes are made to the receiver I think [THINK] ATF likes to know about that too.

Ray is correct - if you are worried, just give them a call. Problem is, even with BATFE, each person you talk to may have a different opinion and answer.......probably best to just talk to one and be done. :)

Back