Hamilton Machine Tool Lathe found left outside

jung4g

Registered
Registered
On my drive home last night, I took a slight detour on a frontage road of the highway I travel daily. And low and behold I spot this big old lathe sitting out in a gravel parking lot. Naturally I pulled over and got out to take a closer look... Compared by 12x36, this thing was pretty big. I'd guess at least a 16x60? I can't find another pic of one like it...

Probably because it looks like it was an old line drive setup with an electric conversion put on the top powered by a 3HP 220v GE motor (that spun rather freely).

Anyone know anything about it? If nothing, I might snag the motor and barrel switch off of it. Everything else seemed seized up.
IMG_2519.jpg
IMG_2518.jpgIMG_2517.jpgIMG_2520.jpgIMG_2521.jpgIMG_2522.jpgIMG_2523.jpgIMG_2524.jpgIMG_2525.jpg

Wow what a waste, if it's abandoned junk I'd get all the parts I could. Tailstock , handles, taper attachment . Shoot I'd take the legs too. Better to use them then scrap it in my eyes.

There's a little information on this firm and some copies of ads from the early 20th Century at: Vintage Machinery

It could be unseized and made into a fairly cheap and usable machine again, It vlooks a handsome old machine Once the rust is off it is amazing what you get under it Cast iron can be cleaned fairly easily

The compound on the cross slide is not original to the lathe. Slightly oversized. I guess if it works why not.

i would not junk it. it could be put back in use with a lot of tlc. but it would be worth it.

Just to be clear, this isn't my lathe, nor do I intend to make it mine, I just thought it was interesting find for on the side of the road. And if on the off chance somebody near by needed a project, it's presence would be known.

I think restoring it would be a fun project, but I'm guessing it'll be 30-35 years before I can retire and have time for a project like that.

Back