1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Has Anyone Made A Magnetic Face Plate With Hard Drive Magnets

Discussion in 'MACHINE ACCESSORIES (Tables, Vises, Indexers)' started by Ed ke6bnl, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl Active Member Active Member

City:
    Agua Dulce
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I picked up a few very strong hard drive magnets from ebay. I was wonder what your thoughts are of fastening them to a round al. plate and then fasting that to my face plate to do some light turnin work on the lathe of some thin piece like washers and things.

2. JimDawson

JimDawson Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Magnets don't hold very well in shear. That's how you get them off of stuff. They do hold well in tension. It would seem to me that trying to hold something on a faceplate and cutting it would put the forces in shear.

I think the magnet would hold the part to the face late, but you would have to have something to keep the part from sliding off of the magnet.

3. Ed ke6bnl

City:
    Agua Dulce
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I think you are correct it what you say but, they do make mag chuck for the lathe and used regularly on my low level surface grinder. I quess it comes down to size and shape of the part and the cuts you make.

4. JimDawson

JimDawson Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Pretty much. Can't hurt to do some experiments, but keep your body parts out of the line of fire:eek:

5. Ed ke6bnl

City:
    Agua Dulce
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

absolutely stay clear of flying object, will give it a try when I get some free time

JimDawson likes this.
  6. hman

hman Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tempe
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

The nice thing about hard drive magnets is that they have a pretty good surface area to thickness ratio ... but be careful to match them for thickness! And of course, if you're holding something that the magnets attract, they'll love the swarf, too. Cleanup might become an issue. I'm not familiar with magnetic chucks for lathes. Do they have an on/off function like the ones on surface grinders?

7. Ed ke6bnl

City:
    Agua Dulce
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

that is true the mag chuck for a lathe has an on off and your are very correct every shaving will be stuck to the magnet

8. rrjohnso2000

rrjohnso2000 United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    West Lafayette
    State:
    Indiana

-Return to Top-

For small items and light weight turning some double sided tape works well. The times that need a little more holding power I use 5 min epoxy. It will chip right off with a razor blade.