Headstock issues Logan Model 820

Richard White (richardsrelics)

Registered
Registered
Good evening, I have previously posted about the complete restoration I did on my model 820 with turret tailstock. I now make tools with this lathe basically it runs about 2-4 hours each night, and tonight while I was indicating a part in, I heard squeaking, like that of 2 pcs of metal rubbing in a bad way.

Upon further investigation, I found the locking collar, listed as a take up nut, that holds the main bearing in place, loose.... I had previously tightened it to what I thought was enough, but clearly it was not.

Any advice on how tight this is supposed to be?

I am going to tighten it again, as I do not have the luxury of taking a day off from making these tools.

I appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks

Richard

U got roller or plain bearings in it ?.
Rollers take preload " sounds loose " , plain take shims , lift test. Will Tell ya.
They all wear in a little, lock tight works.

I'm right in the middle of repairing a 1947 head stock with parts from a 1944-1946 Model 820. The early one has a different bearing collar with an Allen head set screw against a brass dowel on the threads to keep it seated. That's the one I'm going to be using, just an idea.
The collar is a lot larger than the later spanner wrench style.

When I replaced the bearings on my Model 200, I called Scott Logan about removing and replacing that nut. He told me to use a hammer and a punch. I don't like doing things that way generally, but it's what I did.
When I put it back on, I just banged in it until it stopped turning. I secured the spindle by wrapping it with a thick piece of leather and clamping it (with as little force as possible) in my bench vise.

Rollers take preload " sounds loose " , plain take shims , lift test. Will Tell ya.

Logan bearings aren't adjustable. :)

I decided to put the lathe in back gear, and used a drive punch and hammer to tighten the nut, not excesssive, just tightened it...we will see what happens

Thanks

On to my next project(s)

Derrick.

Logan generally (maybe always) used ball bearings (usually a double-row at the spindle head position and a single row at the tail), not either plain or roller. I don't know that Logan ever confirmed it but numerous people here and elsewhere have claimed that the Logan double row bearings had a preload between the two rows built in by the manufacturer. In any case, you can't preload or shim them.

Back