Hearing Protection

Jamespvill

Active User
Registered
It's my opinion that a piece of safety gear that is sometimes overlooked is that of hearing protection. Growing up I was always told by my dad that "I'd sure as **** better keep what I got" By that he means fingers, arms, legs, hearing. and both eyeballs! Plus all the other meaty parts too. I'm glad he pounded that into my head since a young age, because now I do what I can to keep what I got...minus a little mishap while playing tug-o-war with some 304 swarf....

Anywho, whenever I enter the shop my apron is hanging right next to the door and has my safety glasses and hearing protection on it. All in one convenient package makes for no excuses!

This is the type I use, just put them around your neck until you need them! I hardly can tell they are there most of the time and they are much more convenient to put on vs fumbling around with those "squeeze, roll, jam into your brain" type.
Ears.JPG
I use them regularly whenever my compressor kicks on and also whenever I'm whacking metal on metal. I figure a little effort now will pay off in the future.

So what does everyone else use? Or do you have some stories to tell about eardrums?

Also, here's a link to what's pictured above, for $6.25 with free shipping too!

Ears.JPG

I have been deaf in my right ear for as long as I can remember (inner ear problem from birth). I take exceptionally good care of whats left. I have from the squeeze plugs to over the head mufflers. I have been considering a hearing aid with a high decible filter.

Jake Parker

I use the "squeeze, roll, jam into your brain" type of earplugs. I buy them by the jar full! I'd be lying if i said that I wear them all the time or as much as I should but I do wear them when I know I'm going to be in a loud situation. The thing that I like about the cheap foam plugs is that I have them scattered all over the place, so they're convenient to use. Theirs always a pair nearby to use when I need them. I've been known to ball up tissue paper and shove in my ear when I don't have plugs handy. It works! I have ear muffs too but I find them to be terribly bulky and sweaty for any thing but a short length of time.

I think it's very smart to wear hearing protectors. I wear foamies too but only when I'm doing something that's pretty noisy. In reality, I should be more diligent about using them...

I use the headphone-style ones that shooters use. But yours look a LOT handier and lighter. Where did you get them?
...Doug

I use large ear muffs. I lost all my high frequencies and developed very loud tinnitus in my left ear in the early 70s. (diving accident)
I have just started wearing a hearing aid in that ear and was worried about working in the shop.
The ear muffs fit over the aid and work well although I take it out for loud work.
Its fantastic getting directional hearing back and hearing clear speech.
Look after your bits you really miss them when they are gone.

I use earmuffs too. I found a model that has the arc between the shells made so it passes behind the neck instead of over the head.
It alows me to use a face shield at the same time.
I quit using the foam plugs while working after three infections inside the same ear... (sometimes I still use foam plugs, but only when sleeping with my GF, that snores a little loud ... :lmao::lmao:)

I use the triple flange cheapies for shooting, and sometimes use them in the shop. But I don't have any loud machines so they don't get broken out too often.

I use the type in the picture below in this thread and use them so they go around the back of my neck. That way I can also wear safety goggles and/or full face mask. I also use a powered respirator when I am working with anything that is dusty such as MDF for patterns, mock-ups, etc. As a separate precaution (overkill maybe) I keep a pair visible by my lathe and mill so if for any reason I did not put on my shop pair I will be reminded to make sure have some protection - same for safety glasses. Protective aids are a lot cheaper that trips to the ER or hearing damage.

I've got substantial high-frequency hearing loss, mainly in my left ear -- industrial explosion, about 40 years ago. So I do whatever I can to keep what I've got left. Generally -- which is to say running the lawnmower or rototiller, or the big blower -- I wear the "earmuff" type, although I must say they get sweaty in the Summer. My machine tools are pretty small, and don't make a lot of racket, so I'm less concerned about that. However, when I'm working iron on the anvil (and I have a very "ringy" anvil), I wear the earmuffs.

I'm looking into getting some of the better (i.e. more protective) "earplug" types... the "roll and stuff" kind don't cut the anvil noise as much as I'd like, and I really don't like wearing the muffs in a forge environment.

Back