Helicoil - Nippers - Blood - Stitches - Pain Killers

B

Buffalo20

Forum Guest
Register Today
I guess the title sums it up! I needed a 3/4" long, 3/4"-16 helicoil insert for a job, all the suppliers had were 1-1/8" long, so drill and tap the hole, take the nippers, get the right length, then SNIP!! Then a piercing pain in my lower neck, blood everywhere, a quick trip to the urgent care, 4 stitches and a prescription for some pain killer (unfilled)

According to the doc, it was a puncture wound, until, I rip it out out my neck, causing the gash, that had to be closed. About 2 hours after I got home, i ventured into the shop, cleaned up the cart and installed the cut down helicoil insert, reassembled the pump housing, ready to be installed tomorrow morning.

Ouch, that was an expensive trip if anything like a couple of mine. Glad you are ok, and were able to come back and work on it shortly after.

A good reminder that safety glasses are appropriate even if you aren't using a power tool.
Glad you had a good outcome.

Daryl
MN

Set up your side cutters with one hand, cover with shop towel then cut, or grind off using cutting wheel.

Many years ago while underway serving in the Navy, I had to remove a tight bearing race from a 2"shaft. I scored the race with a die grinder in hopes of a simple blow of a ball peen would fracture the score. It worked perfectly until I felt a wet spot on my right side. The hardened race splintered sending shrapnel through my shirt embedding 1/2" between two ribs. The ships "pecker checker" (medic) was happy to preform minor surgery followed by a Tetanus shot. The take away is never trust hard matirials when cutting using dykes or striking with a hammer. A shop towel will save you heartburn. I don't need to elaborate on PPE as we all know when and what to use.
Be thankful you missed your external carotid arterie or jugular vein. Glad your ok.

I guess the title sums it up! I needed a 3/4" long, 3/4"-16 helicoil insert for a job, all the suppliers had were 1-1/8" long, so drill and tap the hole, take the nippers, get the right length, then SNIP!! Then a piercing pain in my lower neck, blood everywhere, a quick trip to the urgent care, 4 stitches and a prescription for some pain killer (unfilled)

According to the doc, it was a puncture wound, until, I rip it out out my neck, causing the gash, that had to be closed. About 2 hours after I got home, i ventured into the shop, cleaned up the cart and installed the cut down helicoil insert, reassembled the pump housing, ready to be installed tomorrow morning.
Dang that must of HURT! I have small abrasive saw, screw the coil onto something suitable or slide round stock into coil's ID and clamp in saws grooved vise jaws and cut to length. Not the fastest but no stitches at urgent care either. Your angle was really looking after you.

Was holding one end of a 1/2" log chain while a coworker cut it with a huge pair of bolt cutters. A piece of the hardened chain went into my hand between fingers an inch deep.

Hitting a chisel (maybe it was a punch) into something at workbench height. Chisel lost a chunk that put 1 3/4" scar just below my left eye.

Driving a 2" pin to angle the blade of a big bulldozer. Pin sent a sliver into the inside of my left elbow. Blood would squirt about 3 feet every tine my heart beat. Held pressure on it until I got to a Dr.s office. By then it had stopped bleeding! Dr. wanted me to drive another 30 miles to get an x-ray to see if the sliver was in my arm. Went to a nearby hardware store instead and ran a stud finder up and down my arm. Magnet never moved so I figures I was good.

After soldering some wires under a truck, I went to cut the little tips off that stuck up. Figured I was two steps ahead of Murphy, I had safety glasses, and turned my head away. Well, Mr Murphy got me, a little stub went right between my glasses, and face, and lodged right below my right eye.

Back