Hello out there ! ! !

philip-of_Oregon

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I could not find an "introduce" section, so if'n I measured wrong, fill this hole, Plug it tight, and move it somewhere else!

I have worked Metals since 1968 but only started Milling about 25 years ago, give or take an Inch. I have had some "commercial" shop experiance, I spent about 7 months working for a company that made Trombone Valves! Yes! Indeed, the gentleman held the First Patent since 1870's for Brass Music Valves . . . An Honor to even know the man. his Mill had a 12.000-inch spacer and it was Nigh on 7 feet tall, his lathe was 14X84 and both ran on 440 3 Phase, for the precision work that he performed. I made 3 sets of 500 individual Valves during that time, Each One hand finished by Ora himself, "No One" had his touch . . . .

My Primary machining will be in the "Micro" to "Miniature" range. Although I did recently purchase some 6061 @ 3.000" diameter, 2 @ 0.375" & 2 @ 0.500" both will be for a soon to receive set of Two 3 inch Rotary Tables. The thin 61 will become Indexing Plates, after clean up of the sawing and the circumference. These will be my first attempts at Index Plates. I will be turning on my TAIG LATHE, if I get my new 4 Jaw for it, otherwise I will spin my Micro Mart 7X14, which I have yet to even fire up ! ! !

I have had some damage to my hands and stopped working about Five Years back, and then, have since Moved and need to build my Bench FIRST of EVERYTHING ELSE!

Well that is me, philip, I hope to be both learning & interacting here, I have not been "On a Forum", regularly for several years, so I was Plenty Happy to read the Rules here . . . I Left of my own accord because I did not enjoy the work arounds for foul/abusive speech patterns, etc.

Welcome Phillip and enjoy our forum. We will help you the best we can. Sounds like you are ready and rarin' to go. :encourage:

And yes, we leave the bathroom talk and bad attitudes to the other guys. We are here to help and have fun.

Last edited:
Hi Phillp, welcome to the site, we all try to help , no question is wrong . Answers may vari but all will be our best. Take care be SAFE , that's my biggy SAFTEY , no rings or loose clothing , hanging hair , saftey glasses . Machines don't care .

Hi Phillip- that trombone job sounds like an interesting gig
Mark S.

Welcome to the forum, have fun and these guys help with about anything you can think of. It sounds like you have a bit of machining prior, so you may be able to help others more than you know. Welcome aboard

Hi Phillip- that trombone job sounds like an interesting gig
Mark S.
It was one of the TOP Three JOBS in my Life ! ! ! He was a PhD. in Engineering, and I believe about 180 IQ, I have worked with and Known Many High IQ types, and he fits that mold. The History of his Valve (I am purposely leaving out his personal information) which was in about "Generation 8.1" was absolutely Incredible. He was about to "Conquer" the last Problem that faces ALL Brass/Bronze Music Valves, when there was a climatic issue, and had to stop Production. He was going to Diamond Plate the Valve itself. to make it corrosion resistant (to spittle, a regular problem I am told).
What I enjoyed MOST about his Work Methodology was this: He would show me a new job. Then He would say "If you can figure out an easier way to do it, go ahead" !!! I took him at his word TWICE, and both times he said, I wonder why I DIDN'T think of that !!!!

Welcome to the forum, have fun and these guys help with about anything you can think of. It sounds like you have a bit of machining prior, so you may be able to help others more than you know. Welcome aboard

Thank you. I left out a lot of details, for instance, When I LEARNED Lost Wax Investment Casting, I was using US Army "Special Services" Craft Shops. I ended up Teach at TWO different places: Fort Hood Texas, in 1969 and @ Coleman Barracks, Mannheim Germany 1970/71. I also TAUGHT one term at Butte Junior College, California, when I needed just One More Credit for full time VA Student. First day of Class the Art Instructor said, "well, you all asked for this class, so I got the EQUIPMENT, But I Do Not know a SINGLE THING about it so . . . . " (I raised my hand, I spoke of what I had done since 1968 in JEWELRY . . . ) HE said, You just earned an A for the Whole Term. ;-) It was Great!!!! I feel we should share what we know, and Never put down someone who shows a better way to do it.

philip

Hi Philip, welcome to our great family. Looking forward to seeing your projects. I work on the smaller side my self repairing / making clock parts.

I can assure that you will never leave here due to how your are treated or spoken to.

David

As the guys say you will enjoy the interaction of the membership. Among this group are experienced machinists and "beginners" such as myself and I truly believe they feel every question has merit and deserves a forthright answer. Enjoy
Ray

Back