Help With A Hammond #4 Voltage

All three ohm out at 47--47.5..motor runs smooth.not getting hot..runs slow to me..if I added the third leg it would run higher rpm? Thanks for reply.
Adding juice to the third leg will not make it run faster. It runs slow, how slow?

You need to do some researching on Hammond grinders. There's a very good chance this grinder is more of a lapper than grinder, that is set up with a diamond lap for lapping freshly sharpen carbide tools. Hammond made all sorts of grinding equipment in the days for mainly sharpening of braised on carbide tools.
Go look at the Vintage Machinery website and see if there is any literature listed for your grinder or lapper.

Ken

EDIT: Well, it looks like there is not much on the Vintage Machinery website for the Hammond grinders. There is a couple of pictures of your grinder posted for comparison, but that's about it. Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken.thanks for info..will try and get estimate of speed tomorrow .dont think it turns as fast as my bench grinder.has good torque .cant stop it with piece of wood..putting 3 phase power to motor instead of single phase won't speed motor up?thanks for your time.

the motor will not run any faster on full 3 phase.
if the motor doesn't sound bad and it doesn't get hot, you may have a working motor.

You say only 3 leads? The picture of the connection plate shows 9 leads (which would be a normal dual voltage 3 phase motor). Did you look in the connection box ("peckerhead") right on the motor?

If you really only have 3 leads, then I don't see why that connection plate would have been attached to the motor?

Regardless, with the motor having no load on it - as others have pointed out above, the speed will be the same no matter if it connected for the higher or lower voltage. The correct connection simply means you will get rated power when the correct voltage & connection is set up.

Glad you are getting it sorted.

Motor runs smooth and quite.didn't run but about 10 minutes.didn't get hot.maybe grinders from 30's-40's didn't turn as fast??if motor was a 440v it wouldn't run on 220 I'm guessing. Going to try and get an idea of rpm next.thanks for all the help.

Yes. Only three.local guy told me there was more wires stuffed inside motor.so took motor apart to find missing wires..only the three.the connection plate is on rear bottom of grinder housing.motor plate missing.no holes for rivets.it does have 6 wires hooked up in forward.off reverse switch like on my lathe.most are tagged L1..L2..T3. Etc. thanks

I have a 10" Excello tool grinder that is about that vintage - 1 HP, 220/440 3 phase motor, 1750 rpm, belt drive to the spindle (which is running about 2100 rpm). When it comes to shaping / sharpening the brazed carbide tool bits - it is fantastic. I bought a diamond wheel (which cost a lot more than the grinder) - it is much better than a green wheel on the bench grinder.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/carboloy-excello-tool-grinder.37715/

DSCF5756.JPG

Very nice machine..once I get motor sorted out going to take mine apart and clean it up and add some paint.friend has quite a few new Norton dished diamond wheels and quite a few other types.he said if I get grinder working he would hook me up..thanks for reply.

Motor runs smooth and quite.didn't run but about 10 minutes.didn't get hot.maybe grinders from 30's-40's didn't turn as fast??if motor was a 440v it wouldn't run on 220 I'm guessing. Going to try and get an idea of rpm next.thanks for all the help.

Speed of an AC motor is a relationship to frequency and the way it is wound. voltage doesn't come into play on AC induction motors. Ulma Doc has been giving good info so I;ve just been watching.

Art B

Looking at your pictures over and over, to me, I believe the motor has been rewired at some time in it life. Part of the dead give away is the red insulation paint covering the internals of the rotor and bell housings. There's also some green epoxy paint, at least its looks like it around the windings. These things were not used back in the 1930's-1940's. Stuff back then was covered with that black tar looking stuff. If not rewired, new leads pulled. I've seen this done in my past, where the owner only wanted the leads pulled for a specific voltage. And it sounds to me, the leads were pulled for the lower voltage. Now that you know the motor runs good, I would attach a VFD to the motor and run it that way. Ken

Back