HF Drill Press - How to improve Horsepower

gorlosky

Active User
Registered
I have a HF 5 speed Drill press and I cannot drill through steel with a bit size greater than 7/16. I pull out my Black and Decker hand drill and have no problem drilling up thru 1/2 inch.
The Drill press is running at 760 RPM and the hand drill at 750 RPM. The Drill press has a motor the size of a 1 gallon jug and the hand drill something the size a a fist.
Why is the drill press motor such a dog (document rated at 2.4 amp), while that smaller hand drill (tag rated at 5.5 amp) has plenty of power ?
How can I improve the drill press performance ?
I was also checking the HF 8x12 lathe motor and although much larger only is rated at 3/4 HP but is watt rated at 350 (which is 9/16 HP).
.39 hp = 290 watts = 2.4 amps
1/2 HP = 373 watts = 3.1 amps
3/4 HP = 559 watts = 4.6 amps (although the lathe tag says 8 amp 350 watts at 120 volts, which to not correct)

You can add 1 or 2 intermittent pulleys for more power and lower speeds.

th.jpg

I added an extra pulley to mine to slow down the speeds, it helps some with the torque too.

[video=youtube_share;bk9L0Dxe4ng]http://youtu.be/bk9L0Dxe4ng[/video]

The step down pulley set up is the true answer/ That will allow the motor to run in it's more efficient and powerful range while slowing the drill to a much more reasonable speed for drilling. 99% of folks drill too fast and that results in walking, chattering, egg shaped holes and broken bits stuck in the material. I general never turn a drill bit faster than 300 RPM and prefer 150 for most of the work I do. So a step pulley and a Variable speed control for the motor is a great way to achieve the slower speeds without overheating the motor. Just my .02, but slower is much better!!!

Bob

Ah ha. So like the HF 8x12 Lathe which uses a step down method, I can also move the existing Drill press pulley off the motor shaft, to some middle location where I can adjust for tension on a slider and achieve lower speed, but higher efficient (hopefully as torque in my mind) and be able to drill with 1/2 inch bits with ease ? When would I ever need above 1630 RPM ?

100_2309[1].JPG
100_2308[1].JPG
100_2310[1].JPG

100_2308[1].JPG 100_2309[1].JPG 100_2310[1].JPG

I found a lot of answers why the seemingly false reading here, where today the far end of the intermittent duty curve is stated instead of continuous duty rating being stated.

I usually refer to this as the ILS rating ... If lightning strikes.

HF sels a 12 speed bench dp look at your drill and see if the hole for the center pully is there. If so just order the parts for the 12 speed.

Ordering parts from HF is nuts. I broke a part on my 2 month old Portable Bandsaw. There are 60 some parts listed in the manual. Their Parts department says they only stock 3. I asked how soon would it be then ? They replied we only stock 3, meaning we can only get 3. :yikes::yikes::yikes:

SO, don't expect to get Parts.

Back