• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

HGR HAS 16- 18" MONARCH 1942 navy $783.

Silverbullet

GOD I wish I could get her. The very best LATHES ever. One spinner handle missing or broken hand wheel looks ok . She's a good looking machine .

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Well, I am building an entire virtual industrial machine shop in my head. Complete with overhead shafts, and three phase circuits. Every time I see a particularily magnificent machine, that I either pass on or loose to a higher bidder, I add it to the shop. Much better than actually buying and having to move and install these big monsters.

Here's my latest addition (edit: to my virtual shop) the rebuilt 18x 8' Henley, that came up on the local market last summer. Completely rebuilt, including grinding the ways, with tooling.

IMG_4104.JPG

Last edited:

woodchucker

Well, I am building an entire virtual industrial machine shop in my head. Complete with overhead shafts, and three phase circuits. Every time I see a particularily magnificent machine, that I either pass on or loose to a higher bidder, I add it to the shop. Much better than actually buying and having to move and install these big monsters.

Here's my latest addition - a rebuilt 18x 8' Henley, that came up on the local market last summer. Completely rebuilt, including grinding the ways, with tooling.

View attachment 246879
Excellent Glenn, I think I remember that thread where we were all oooing and ahhhing over that beauty. Glad you came to your senses and got it.
How's she turn?

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Ahaha, well, it turns smooth as silk in my imagination. I didn't actually purchase the lathe, only mentioned it above as an addition to my Virtual machine shop- machines I wished I owned!

Glenn

benmychree

John York
That is my all time favorite old time lathe; I always wanted one, probably will not happen, will have to settle for my 19" Regal Leblond WW-2 lathe that came off a Liberty ship.

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
Back in my earlier years, I ran a old new 36" Monarch lathe that came from government storage. The only noise that lathe made came from the 30 HP motor. Nice and smooth running, I could hold 0.001" tolerances all day long on that lathe! There's a shop here in town where I'm at, the owner has four of the 36" Monarch lathes in his shop. Brought back memories.

BTW: I know a man that had two of them Hendy tieback lathes in his shop. They sure were nice! He sold them many years back for a different taste in iron.

Silverbullet

I down load the pictures if possible and save them. Boring mills , planners , turret LATHES all kinds I've run and learned on. I wish I had pictures of the real shops I'd worked in.
I wouldn't or couldn't have chosen a better profession.

Container Above bottom breadcrumb