home made scribe

jumps4

Global Moderator
Registered
one of the first tools i made when i bought my mill and lathe
it a simple scribe i use all the time. it is really handy for marking sheet metal for bending.
the point has to be hard and a small broken drill bit works good.
you have to heat the drill up and quench it because the shank of a drill bit is still soft.
( ya i know it rusted :nono: )
steve

DSCF0398.JPG

Nice, I like it and might continue the evolution you started for my woodworking shop!

post your pics if you make one
some of you guys will probably be a lot fancier than i was
steve

I like the additional hand holding surfaces and leverage. I often find myself using a marking gage, the woodworking kind, and as I drag it along the surface to be marked I loose control. The extra mass and leverage will allow me to reduce or eliminate that. Sure, most of the time the more traditional ones work just fine - this one is just a little better.

Thanks again to original poster and those who followed - great ideas!!

Steve (not the same steve who originally posted)

shawn that came out nice and it's a perfect use for the knobs we keep saving
steve

I guess I need to make one myself, But right now the Lathes are in the middle of the room. I've been running a air line from the old shop to the new one.

And I've still have to put up 2 more sheets of tin on the ceiling.

Paul

i put my tip in a drill and held it against the grinder stone side. the tip has to be really hard or it will dull fast
steve

Could you guys recommend the metal or raw materials for making a scribe. I bought a used starrett surface gage missing the scribe. I need one... can you order them separately? Are they expensive?

Back