Horizontal Surface Grinder

chevydyl

Active User
Registered
what are some common uses for these machines, opportunity for me to pick one up with a mag chuck, I think of truing up cylinder heads or engine cases or pump housings, am I way off base or what, ive done some searching and haven't found much. any info would be cool thanks

Surface grinders are great at getting really fine finished, flat, and true surfaces. The applications that you have described would fit well, if the parts fit. With the correct tooling, rotary table / dividing head, you could also sharpen end mills and make some very precise lathe tools.

A surface grinder can be a very useful tool, with many different applications.

-Cody

You can make your own parallels, 1-2-3 blocks, vee blocks, and any number of your own really, really flat precise tools. And they can be hardened prior to the final grinding, which is an advantage.

that sounds like a tool I want lol he wants $750 for it.. it appears to be a good deal

What brand is it? I got mine a while back because a friend had it for sale and really wanted me to get it. At the time I was hesitant since it is a huge machine and my shop is very small. But since getting I don't know how I lived without it. There are lots of things in my shop with a flat ground finish now. Most of them just because I could. :) I love my surface grinder. Post pictures if you get it. Surface grinding is one area that I could find very little help files/videos online about. Lucky the friend that sold it to me ran one for years as a tool and die guy so he has been my question and answer guy. I still don't know enough to be helpful to others just enough to get me in trouble.

Jeff

what are some common uses for these machines, opportunity for me to pick one up with a mag chuck, I think of truing up cylinder heads or engine cases or pump housings, am I way off base or what, ive done some searching and haven't found much. any info would be cool thanks

I used them to resharpen Die sections and any part surface that needs to be ground flat and smooth. If you get one it a good idea to grind the surface of the mag chuck once awhile.

The grinder Is a Harig 612 i don't recall the brand of chuck but every thing looks and appears to be in good shapeOMG I just checked eBay and prices range from about 1800-4500 so 750 seems like a smokin deal

They are a tool which I didn't think would be used very often. I purchased one because an offer came along at the right price. Now, I don't think I could do without one. It's used on most of my personal projects anytime flat precision surfaces are needed. Mills make things somewhat flat -the surface grinder brings it home.

Ray

The grinder Is a Harig 612 i don't recall the brand of chuck but every thing looks and appears to be in good shapeOMG I just checked eBay and prices range from about 1800-4500 so 750 seems like a smokin deal

Jump on it you won't regret it. Just remove the table to transport it.

Cool thanks for the info lucky me if I get it it only has about 1mile to travel and my neighbor owns a forklift to get it outta the truck just not sure how to manuevure it once it's in the garage the FL don't fi though the door

Back