Horizontal Surface Grinder

SG's tend to be particularly heavy and deceivingly top-heavy. Please be careful.

When I moved mine, the seller had a fork lift. The tailgate of the truck was removed, the unit lifted straight up and level to the bed and 4 guys tipped it over and laid it on it's back. We went this route because we had to travel 75 miles and we didn't feel it was safe to take the ride with it upright in the bed. Upon getting home, there was no forklift so, for 75 bucks, I called a towing wrecker and in 2 minutes, it was gently lifted out of the bed, onto the ground atop a piece of plywood and gently pushed into the garage. From there, I used pipes etc to roll it to it's current spot -where it shall remain for as long as gravity keeps it there (-a long time).

PS: I was non-descript about the things I use it for. Truth is, I use it on about 1/3 of my projects, many of which are documented here, too numerous to really enumerate... SG's are great. There's a real learning curve -moreso than you might think. Have a very, very healthy respect for that spinning wheel -it can hurt or kill you. Always clamp your work properly and never take off more than a thou or so at a time when using the proper wheel. They're really intended to take of 1-2 ten-thous at a time -a baby's breath.

Ray

Cool thanks for the info lucky me if I get it it only has about 1mile to travel and my neighbor owns a forklift to get it outta the truck just not sure how to manuevure it once it's in the garage the FL don't fi though the door

If I were you I would part it out, Just so happens I have a Harig 612 that needs a few parts including that mag chuck.:whistle::whistle::whistle:

I had to go over 450 miles to get my Harig Super612. You don't really need to take the tables off, just lower the motor & spindle housing (not the grinding stone if its still on the grinder) on a block of wood to the table or chuck and lock the table. You should be good to go. Make sure you tie it down or separate as the top main casting is just sitting on the cabinet base, at least mine was. Check the oil pump in the rear sump to make sure it is there and works. I had to replace mine and put in a Little Giant pump, which is considerably cheaper than the original replacement (well over $400). My pump was wired 220V single phase. You can order Little Giant pumps on line for about $100 or less. I installed a Teco VFD drive to the three phase motor and it works exceptionally well!! If you do the same be sure to disable the reverse so you don't spin the grinding wheels off by accident. Also get ahold of Jim at Jdsserv@aol.com. He will be a great help with you on any questions on the grinder. He also has replacement parts if you need them.
Good luck and enjoy the grinder.

Skipd1

Back