Horizontal Test Indicator For Setting Mill's Vise?

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
Looking to buy a Horizontal Test Indicator for setting/squaring the vise on my milling machine.

Looks like you can spend a little or you could spend a lot.

I want to buy once but also do not need to spend extra money for "brand/logo" on the face.

Is a 0.0005" graduation adequate? Of course the smaller you go gets you less range. This one gets you 30 thou range.
miti test indicator.jpg

What is your experience?

It's certainly adequate. the needle moves about .0001 for it's width, that's really better than you really need for squaring (paralleling) a vice. I've kee'd my vice, it's usually within .002 or 3. Range is of no use in this case.

There are some of these indicators that have a revolution counter so you can get both precision and range. Although chasing 0.0001" is not practical at our level and you will be chasing your tail with a vise. Sometimes you can find some NOS at a reasonable price, but really depends on how much you want to spend. Buying used with no guarantee can be a problem, as some of these may have been crashed, damaged or worn out. I do have both and an Interapid and a Compac, the latter is often over looked and is the very similar/if not the same as the Interapid but can sell for less. They all have gone up significantly in the last couple of years. There are different styles/mounts and clutches. On the lathe I use a Starett 25-511 with various points, wide range and big dial for my tired eyes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compac-Dial-Indicator-215A-0001-/142194562801
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTERAPID-3...-Test-Indicator-Graduation-0001-/192045983778

Looking to buy a Horizontal Test Indicator for setting/squaring the vise on my milling machine.

I want to buy once but also do not need to spend extra money for "brand/logo" on the face.

Is a 0.0005" graduation adequate? Of course the smaller you go gets you less range. This one gets you 30 thou range.
View attachment 141000

What is your experience?
A .0005" resolution indicator is about right for tramming a milling machine vise. The style in the photo you posted works well, and used properly you will not need a mirror...

There are some of these indicators that have a revolution counter so you can get both precision and range. Although chasing 0.0001" is not practical at our level and you will be chasing your tail with a vise. Sometimes you can find some NOS at a reasonable price, but really depends on how much you want to spend. Buying used with no guarantee can be a problem, as some of these may have been crashed, damaged or worn out. I do have both and an Interapid and a Compac, the latter is often over looked and is the very similar/if not the same as the Interapid but can sell for less. They all have gone up significantly in the last couple of years. There are different styles/mounts and clutches. On the lathe I use a Starett 25-511 with various points, wide range and big dial for my tired eyes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compac-Dial-Indicator-215A-0001-/142194562801
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTERAPID-3...-Test-Indicator-Graduation-0001-/192045983778

Mark, did a little research and looks both Intrepid and Compac are made by the same Swiss company. The outfit also now owns Brown and Shrape as well. Thanks for the tip.

I dug deep in the shop tonight and found an old one I had. I thought I had one but could not find it! ( 0.0005" - 0.03 range)

I got this thing from a construction company that closed its doors many moons ago. I think I will just use this one until I get a large dial Compac at a reasonable price.

enco case.JPG

enco 2.jpg

That is probably a pretty nice indicator. The old Enco tools from when they were in Chicago, like that indicator, which is made in Japan, are often reasonably high quality tools. Try it without preconception and see how it does. It might even be made by Mitutoyo, though more likely not. If it is in good working condition, it should be more than adequate for tramming your vise. If it is gummy and repeats poorly, sent it in for a cleanup and adjustment.

View attachment 141000

What is your experience?

I use a no indicator method that is very accurate. I had a piece of 4" x 12" x 5/16" steel plate that was very flat. I cut a notch in the bottom to fit over the vice bed and into the table slots. I pack the back of the plate with a 123 block and a couple of parallels so the plate will close to a slot The jaws are then tightened. The vice bolts are a bit loose so I can pull the vice towards me a bit until the plate is snug against a table slot. Then tighten the nuts. Usually takes less than 5 minutes to square the vice to the slots. The first few times I tried this I checked with an indicator. Don't recall anymore but I do know the vice was as good as I ever got or better with an indicator. I stopped using the indicator for squaring a vice 10 years ago.
If the plate is flat and the vice is pulled tight to the slot this will suffice for most work.
mike

Back