• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
[4]

How Do You Store Your Open End Wrenches?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
N

Nels

So...I will be cleaning up and organizing the shop soon.

I have some wrenches that did not come in a case, and want to store them on the wall.
Not sure if I will have pegboard, but I do have wooden walls.

How do you store yours?
Are those magnetic strips any good, or not strong enough?

BGHansen

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
My dad used a piece of masonite with finish nails pounded in to capture the base of the wrench heads. The masonite is hung on his pegboard. Don't know about the magnetic strips. I'm guessing if you used a piece of delrin or wood for that matter and drilled holes for some rare earth magnets they would hold fine.

Bruce

bosephus

i have mine hung up pretty much the same way as Bruce , its simple and easy , plus if you have multiples of the same wrench it makes it easy to just stack them in the same slot .

my only issue with the magnetic strips is it makes your tools slightly magnetic as well and they then tend to collect chips and debris

RandyM

Staff member
I tend to like putting my tools in drawers, it looks neater and easier to keep clean. I like the combination saw tooth rails. Here is what I ended up doing, it may be another option for you.
KRL7023 Drwr 03.JPG KRL7023 Drwr 04.JPG

karim

Regarding the magnetic strips, many of them are junk... but these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001...+for+tools&dpPl=1&dpID=31PGj4zRWGL&ref=plSrch

Are AMAZING. I have several of them around the shop and honestly want to get more. They're immensely strong, and if you don't mind them magnetizing what you hold with them, they're a great way to organize tools.

The bright yellow strip is the magnet(s) and the frame and mounting lugs are welded steel with a plastic/rubber coating. Very beefy and easily strong enough to hold a set of wrenches.

N

Nels

I tend to like putting my tools in drawers, it looks neater and easier to keep clean. I like the combination saw tooth rails. Here is what I ended up doing, it may be another option for you.
View attachment 142601 View attachment 142602

Looks great Randy. Unfortunately, I'm a sloppy slob. I need something simple, quick and easy. That's why I'm leaning towards nails, or the magnetic strip that Karim mentioned, which looks excellent.

If the magnetism spreads, a de-magnetizer will be necessary.
They sell handheld models for a few bucks, but really, one of the larger ones is much better.

7milesup

I started to use the shadow foam method. I buy an exercise mat from Walmart and trace all the tools, then use a sharp exacto knife or similar to cut it out.
My toolbox came with a black mat in the bottom of the drawers and I just left that in there and cut all the way through the blue exercise mat. I did glue some of them together with 3m 77 adhesive. The picture of the Machinist tools was done with Kaizen Foam that I purchased at Rockler Woodworking.
It looks like a lot of work but it really isn't once you get going.

Attachments

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
I started to use the shadow foam method. I buy an exercise mat from Walmart and trace all the tools, then use a sharp exacto knife or similar to cut it out.
My toolbox came with a black mat in the bottom of the drawers and I just left that in there and cut all the way through the blue exercise mat. I did glue some of them together with 3m 77 adhesive. The picture of the Machinist tools was done with Kaizen Foam that I purchased at Rockler Woodworking.
It looks like a lot of work but it really isn't once you get going.
Way too nice for my shop! I like it though.

eeler1

Dang, buggered that up too!!
Dang, so none of you just toss them in a drawer?

To hang them on the wall, you need wall. I don't have any to spare.

I've used magnetic strips, but seems like when I would pick one off the strip, another falls off or gets crooked or in the way. I didn't care for them, but then maybe those good magnets would make a difference.

I keep machine specific wrenches at the machine, usually on hooks of some sort attached somewhere on the machine. Then the general purpose ones in a drawer, but not all organized like some folks do. Probably why I avoid using those much.

sanddan

Active User
I also use the snap on plastic strips. I stuck them directly onto the foam drawer liner about 20 years ago which has worked great through the years but I am just now transferring the tools to a new box so have to get some new strips which unfortunately are out of stock right now. I like the boards pete did, I think I'll do that for the new box.

MozamPete

Active User
I like the boards pete did, I think I'll do that for the new box.
I actually did the boards to give some extra height - for the larger spanners they didn't sit nice in the organizers when they were just on the draw bottom. The ends of the spanners actually overhang the board so they are all resting on the shaft only.

Wireaddict

Active User
Since I have a couple of rollaway tool cabinets & little wall space I keep my end wrenches in drawers like several others here. The drawers aren't so full that I have trouble locating the one I need quickly. Also, a magnetic tape demagnetizer does a good job of demaging tools although they're probably getting scarce as are magnetic tapes.

Last edited:

JimBobBowie

Swarf
Registered Member
I have a mixture of old wrenches from multiple sets mostly SK. I used sheet rock screws for everything bigger than 1/2" and the big ones are one to a screw and as they get smallet I can hang two or three of the same size on each screw. For the smaller ones I used finish nails and go down to 3/16".

Martin W

When I worked at the Deere. They had a blitz where they wanted all of your tools on a shadow board. This meant you only had to take a quick glance to see the tool you needed. Putting them back where they belong is the hardest part. It did work well.
Martin W

mzayd3

Active User
I have mine mounted on a piece of ash. I drilled some 1/8" holes on roughly a 15* angle upward. I then pounded framing nails into them and cut them off. I hang the wrenches by their closed end. I know you asked about open end, but I don't have any of those strictly speaking. IMG_4638.JPG

Otherwise, for my job, I have all my tools in my truck. I got tired of the crummy wrench rolls falling apart over time and eventually made a new one out of leather. It has held up for several years so far. IMG_4645.JPG IMG_4646.JPG IMG_4647.JPG

mcostello

Active User
Putting things away correctly saves time in the long run. I sorted My fasteners by size during the
winter and it is amazing how much faster I find them now. Wish I did that 30 years ago.

bpimm

Active User
Everything I could find available was set up for 1 set of wrenches, I don't have just 1 wrench of each size so this is a prototype I built out of wood, eventually going to make some out of plastic when I replace this junky old toolbox.
20170102_090932.jpg
It allows for 6-8 small wrenches and 3-4 larger wrenches stacked in the slot, takes care of the multiple wrench issue.

vicintx

Iron
Registered Member
Everything I could find available was set up for 1 set of wrenches, I don't have just 1 wrench of each size so this is a prototype I built out of wood, eventually going to make some out of plastic when I replace this junky old toolbox.
20170102_090932.jpg
It allows for 6-8 small wrenches and 3-4 larger wrenches stacked in the slot, takes care of the multiple wrench issue.

TakeDeadAim

My dad tried the nail in the wall thing and had trouble with them coming off when the wall was rattled by a bench also attached to the wall. Im with Randy and the tools in drawers methods. I used to be a chronic messy bench guy and still tend to do it when Im very busy. I find having a place for everything makes it easier to clean up and easy to see if ive left something somewhere. When working its really nice to know exactly where your tools are when you need them.

Oh no I've become and organizer!!!

eastokie

Iron
Registered Member
i stuff mine in drawers, no holders, u get more in the drawer,these are hand wrenches not mics,i put SAE in one drawer , and metric in another, sockets are sorted the same too, a drawer for each,put allen wrenches in with sockets as i have room in drawer. i only use socket sticks(the steel piece with springs on it)in tool box in truck,every where else sockets are loose.i keep them separrated as to SAE or metric, and then as to drive size 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2 , easy and fast to find the size i need,more tool boxs, but lighter also.

higgite

General Manger - Proofreading Dept.
I'm with the "toss them in a convenient container and keep them close at hand" crowd. The sizes I need at the loading bench are loose in a drawer in the bench. The sizes I need on the lathe are loose in a box next to the lathe on the lathe bench along with some pliers, screw drivers, protractor, etc. The sizes I need on the mill are loose in a rolling tool cabinet next to the mill. General use ones are in a plastic pouch in portable tool box.

Tom

Tony Wells

Former Vice President
Staff member
Administrator
I keep mine neatly arrange in a few drawers of a toolbox. NOT. They are just piled in. I do keep the Metric separate from the rest though, in different drawers, but honestly they are just piled in. I have a small box for the tiny ignition wrenches, but that's just so I don't have to dig through the piles of larger stuff. And the Torx (external and internal) live in the cases they came in, but in the appropriate drive size socket drawers.
And I do keep the wrenches (not just the open ends) all separate from socket stuff. And then all 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" stuff has their own drawers. Drives have their own in the case of 3/8" stuff, with extensions and u-joints along with breakovers and ratchets. The 1/4" and 1/2" drive stuff lives with their sockets in their respective drawers.

Paul in OKC

I just toss mine in a drawer, and usually cuss myself every time I look for one :). Every now and then I separate the metric and sae, but they end up mixed before I know it.

[6]
[5] [7]