How does an Index Super 55 quill come out?!

engineerpower

Registered
Registered
Hi all, I'm tearing down my Index Super 55 for cleaning and repaint, and need some help! I have the head completely stripped, except I can't for the life of me figure out what's keeping the quill in. It will slide all the way down, then stop suddenly, as if there's a pin or something in the keyway blocking it.

The only thing I haven't done yet is remove the brass nut on the very bottom of the quill, because I don't have a spanner and would need to fab one.

I can't tell much from the drawings in the shared manual, what am I missing?

Head.jpg

Head.jpg

If I remember correctly, there is a screw that goes in and rides in s slot in the quill. You will probably have to look for it, I had the same issue with mine. I don't remember where it is right now, it's been years since I had mine out. Good luck.

That's what I figured, have been looking all over for it but don't see anything yet. I'm talking with Azzy2000 over on pirate4x4 who had a post with a pic of his quill out (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/shop-tools/700396-so-how-do-i-remove-2.html), but he doesn't remember either.

I'll keep looking, though. I made a quick spanner and took out the nut. All I see in there is the bottom spindle bearing, so I don't think that's the right spot...

Is this the little bastard I'm looking for? If it is, looks like the head has to come completely off the rest of the mill to get at. Can't tell from the drawing what else it would do, but I'm not seeing a channel on the back side of the quill for it to slide in. I can't find any more screws to take out, so I'm running out of ideas. Is the key maybe the brass piece up top that caps off the bore?

Head Drawing.png

Head Drawing.png

I think my green lines are what parts will come out as a quill unit. i don't see any key or dowel or screw from the print. HOWEVER, every quill i've ever seen has a key or dowel pin or screw, so it HAS to be there somewhere. Do you have any other prints from other angles?

View attachment index quill.bmp

Had my Index 55 quill out to send to Rick to grind an R8 in the BS #9 spindle. Can't remember specifically, but I believe the keyway in the quill is on the right hand (hand down feed) side of the head. (Head drawing shows the keyway there.) The spindle bearing nut (inner) doesn't have anything to do with getting the quill out as you have already found out. Good luck from another in the Index 55 club... John

Right, I have every screw out of the head that I can find, and still no joy getting it out. I can see the keyway through a threaded hole that had an oil nipple over it, and it hasn't reached the upper end of the keyway yet, so it sounds like something is till hitting it.

Next step for me is to take the head completely off and see if I can't tell from the inside.

I am takng photos along the way to do a write-up, I'm sure it'll be the only one for the 55.

Re: How does an Index Super 55 quill come out?! -={SOLVED!}=-

Finally got that motherf*cker. I called Rick at Wells-Index, and he sent me the follow instruction:

To remove the quill and spindle assembly you need to remove the pinion gears on the cross shaft.
To remove the cross shaft you need to remove the manual lever and counterbalance assembly on
the right side of the head and then disassemble the down feed gearbox on the left so you can remove
the cross shaft from that side.
There is also a key located on the right side of the head in the bottom of the hole behind the shaft with the manual drill lever.
It is hard to see and looks like the bottom of the hole. It has a 10-32 threaded hole in the center.
You can use a 10-32 screw in it so it can be pulled out.
[emphasis mine]

O.
M.
F.
G.

I've spent DAYS staring at this head, and it was right there all along. It's the hole under the grease fitting, and doesn't look like much. You can see the keyway through the threaded hole, so I figured it was a spot for a set screw to ride in the keyway. I threaded a sockethead screw in there and started leveraging it out with my BFS (Big F*cking Screwdriver). Sure enough, it gave way.

Many thanks to Rick at Wells-Index and Azzy2000 over at Pirate4x4!

Finally drove the quill out the bottom of the head, and now (at last) ready to continue cleaning...

Here's the head still mounted, full extension and hitting whatever is keeping it in:
Head.jpg

Pulling the plug out:
Withdrawing plug.jpg

Ah! It all becomes clear:
Cleared Hole.jpg

Got her out! Here's where the plug was hiding:
Quill Out.jpg

Cleared Hole.jpg Head.jpg Quill Out.jpg Withdrawing plug.jpg

Last edited:
Back