How I cut a metric multi-start thread

Excellent.
Thanks for posting Charles!
-brino

I have done a LOT of threading in my time and will do a lot more, but I have never done a multi start thread. Can someone educate me on WHY would you want to do this? Is it for strength purposes or what is the main purpose behind it?

Michael.

I know one big reason to do multi-start threads is for strength when you have a really short thread depth, like a water bottle cap. I know there are other benefits, but I've completely forgotten what they are.

I will be making a helical focusser for the binocular and a fine thread produces a better "feel" but is too slow so using a multi start gives the feel but also produces a faster movement so not so many turns recuired to get to focus.
Thats my reason for trying.

That's an absolutely brilliant technique! Thanks for letting all of us in on it.

I have done a LOT of threading in my time and will do a lot more, but I have never done a multi start thread. Can someone educate me on WHY would you want to do this? Is it for strength purposes or what is the main purpose behind it?

Michael.
Multi start threads are use a lot on camera lens for focusing and for the zoom part of the lens. If single thread was use, you'd be spending a lot of time spinning that focus or zoom ring around to get that picture in focus or bringing that image up close.

I've single pointed a 4 start imperial thread but using the thread dial to do the indexing. My lathe has imperial leadscrews so I would have had no idea how to cut a multi-start metric thread if I needed.

Great thinking Savarin, thanks for sharing!

Ha Ha, I've got no idea how to work out an imperial thread

Back