[How do I?] Hq400 Lathe Spindle Disassembly

thisisseanquinn

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I recently came into an old HQ400 for a great price from a friend, and I am having a good time with (small) projects on it. Looking over the machine though, the grease in the spindle gearbox is rather old - especially for the lathe portion. The machine needs to operate for several minutes in the lathe position before the selector will hold the "lathe" position, otherwise the selector slips slowly back to neutral. My motor will also not turn the lathe at its max RPM without blowing my garage's circuit breaker, but that may be more the fault of my old house than the machine...

I was wondering how to disassemble the lathe spindle in order to grease the bearings inside. I have seen some teardown pictures (most notably the Privatech website, http://www.privatech.se/HQ400_eng.html ), but none that I have found actually document how to get the spindle apart. I have a manual for the machine with a good parts breakdown, (also from Privatech) but it too does not describe disassembly. Is there anyone on here familiar with this machine?

Thanks in advance!

Back