Huanyang Vfd Wiring & Setup (vfd Newbie)

jbolt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi All, I'm to the point on my mill belt drive conversion that it is time to setup the VFD / Motor. This is my first VFD so I need some guidance getting it setup properly. The Huanyang VFD and Hallmark motor were free to me so I will be using these for the first go. If I am not satisfied with the performance I will upgrade to better equipment later.

Here are the VFD and motor labels.
vfdvlabel.gif motor label.gif

First I want to verify I have the base wiring done correctly. The VFD is 220v so I have the motor wired in the "Low Volt" configuration.

Three wires from the motor "U/L1", "V/L2", "W/L3" go to the corresponding "U", "V", "W" terminals on the VDF.

Motor ground from the motor case ground screw to the ground terminal in the VDF (lug to the right of terminal "W")

Motor shield wire unattached at the motor end and terminated at the VFD chasis ground.

Main 220 power is L1 and L2 from a contactor to terminals "R", and "S" on the VFD.

Main ground wire to the VFD chasis terminal.

I have not powered it up yet.

vfd wiring01.gif

If the base wiring looks good then what is the next step in configuring the VFD?

The VFD will be controlled from Mach3 through a PMDX126 BOB, Eithernet Smooth Stepper and PMDX-107 motor control card.

I'm thinking it would be best to get the VFD/motor running off the key pad before doing the Mach3 setup???

Jay

The way you have wired it looks correct. You should have the incoming single phase power fused or going to a breaker before start-up. You should do basic programming before running the motor, i.e. enter the motor parameters (PD141-144) into the VFD. Base frequency should be 60Hz (PD176). Agree, make sure everything is working manually before external controls are added. If you require very quick brake times, you might need to add a braking resistor, but less of an issue on a mill vs. lathe.

Make sure your motor is wired per the "low voltage" diagram.

Thanks guys, I do have circuit breakers before the contactor and the motor is wired for Low Volt.

Once I actually started pushing buttons it's pretty straight forward (if you understand what the parameters do). The Commissioning part of the manual is terrible for understanding what buttons to push.

Okay here is what I programmed.

pd001 = 0, run command = operator (manual)
pd003 = 60.00, main frequency
pdoo4 = 60.00, base frequency
pd005 = 120.00, max frequency
pd008 = 220, max voltage
pd141 = 220, rated motor voltage
pd142 = 8.0, rated motor current
pd143 = 4, motor pole number
pd144 = 1725, rated motor revolution
pd176 = 60.00, inverter frequency standard

Motor started and ran fine with no load, I ran it no load for 30 min . I then hooked up the belt to the the 1:2 ratio pulleys and ran the spindle for 30min at 60hz. And last I swapped to the 2:1 ratio pulleys and ran it at 60hz and then 120hz for 15 min each. The outside of the motor case stayed a constant 108 deg which I think is reasonable.

So far I think I have the base programming correct. Please let me know if anything above looks wrong?

I do have some noise/vibration coming from the splinded shaft area of the spindle which I think is the somewhat loose fit of the splined drive sleeve to splined spindle shaft connection but that problem is for a different thread...

Next step is getting Mach3 setup??? More reading to do.........

Jay

I have two of the hy brand invertors, one has earth continuity on the two lower screws marked with earth symbol, the other one dosn't. Definetly worth a check.

Stuart

I have two of the hy brand invertors, one has earth continuity on the two lower screws marked with earth symbol, the other one dosn't. Definetly worth a check.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart I will check!

Jay

I need to verify the wiring from the motor controller (PMD-107) to the VFD.

This is what I have come up with.

PMDX-107 ---> VFD
Pin 6 - Rev/Dir REV (reverse run)
Pin 5 - Fwd/Run FOR (forward run)
Pin 4 - COM (common terminal for relays, pins 5 & 6) DCM (common terminal of digital and control signals)
Pin 3 - Aref (not used)
Pin 2 - Aout (spindle speed anolaog control voltage) VI (analog voltage frequency reference input)
Pin 1 - Agnd (VSD ground reference) ACM (common termnal of analog and

PMDX Config settings (dip switches)
Config 1 = Off (Normal Mode)
Config 2 = Off (Normal Mode)
Config 3 = Off (relays operate as for and reverse control signals)
Config 4 = Off (charge pump signal required)
Slow = Off (fast PWM filter response)
5v/10v = Off (10v reference)

Just a note on the motor settings, probably would use PD005 of 90 or 100Hz, unless you have some information that indicates a higher top speed. 120Hz may be OK for short periods of time, but not sure I would run this particular motor for long periods.

Just a note on the motor settings, probably would use PD005 of 90 or 100Hz, unless you have some information that indicates a higher top speed. 120Hz may be OK for short periods of time, but not sure I would run this particular motor for long periods.

It was my understanding that these motors would tolerate up to about twice their rated hz? Maybe I am mistaken or that is for a higher quality motor?

I was planning on limiting the spindle to 6k which works out to around 105hz. Would that be okay?

I just realized the formatting got screwed up on post #7

Try again,

I need to verify the wiring from the motor controller (PMD-107) to the VFD.

This is what I have come up with.

PMDX-107 ---> VFD
Pin 6 - Rev/Dir ----> REV (reverse run)
Pin 5 - Fwd/Run ----> FOR (forward run)
Pin 4 - COM (common terminal for relays, pins 5 & 6) ----> DCM (common terminal of digital and control signals)
Pin 3 - Aref (not used)
Pin 2 - Aout (spindle speed analog control voltage) ----> VI (analog voltage frequency reference input)
Pin 1 - Agnd (VSD ground reference) ----> ACM (common terminal of analog and control signals)

PMDX Config settings (dip switches)
Config 1 = Off (Normal Mode)
Config 2 = Off (Normal Mode)
Config 3 = Off (relays operate as for and reverse control signals)
Config 4 = Off (charge pump signal required)
Slow = Off (fast PWM filter response) (may need to be changed to slow if VFD cannot keep up)
5v/10v = Off (10v reference)

Back