Hydraulic pump size Boyar Schultz 618

Razzle

Jack of All, Master of None
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Can anyone with Boyar Schultz SG that has hydraulics provide me the specs of the pump? My SG has hydraulics but no pump. As part of my rebuild I want to reinstall it. The manual doesn't seem to have specs for the pump, just parts list and dimensions. I have three lines on my grinder. X Y and return. Any suggestions or info would be helpful.
Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I guess that nobody has specs. What I am looking for is GPM, max pressure, double acting or single acting. I did some compares to other 6x18 grinders and it looks like I MAY need double acting, 6 GPM, max 1500 psi. Continuous duty. But I want to have confirmation before dropping cash. At those specs I could be paying up to 800 bucks. Which is more than I paid for the grinder.

In my uninformed opinion, the 6 gpm figure is not valid. But I need to calc the cylinder sizes to guestimate better.

The psi is believable.

Double vs single I am unsure of as the grinder has a switching valve for reversing cylinder direction and pressure stays constant. So I may only need single.

Continuous duty might not be necessary either. I will not be running it all day.

I was looking at a dump trailer power pack. 12v and 300 bucks. But I don't think the gpm is high enough.
There is also something similar to this unit:

That doesnt look like a good unit for your grinder.
I dont have the specs for your grinder.
Tonight I will look at the "Power Unit" for my KO LEE hydraulic Surface Grinder and see what the specs are.
I have a power unit from a Surface Grinder, It is a European made unit and I am not sure of the spec's.
I will post a picture when I get home.
These are generally 1000 psi or LESS and around the 5 gpm area.

Bourn and Kohl support this grinder still. Call them for parts and documentation.
Typical is a JOHN BARNES pump Gc 3625 I think........and about 3/4 HP motor

Thanks. That is the first I have heard that any company supports the Boyar Schultz surface grinders. I will check into it.

The Boyer Shultz manual states the motor hp is 1/4 hp.....
The tank fill is listed at 3 gallons......
Typically a hydraulic reservoir is sized aprox 3 times the flow rate, so assuming 1 GPM of flow.
It takes aprox. 1 Hp of drive to produce 1 GPM @ 1500 PSI, the listed 1/4 HP motor would produce aprox. 350 PSI at 1 GPM.
There are typically no external solenoid operated valves, old grinders use proprietary spool valves built into the hand or lever controls.
Their Hydraulic power unit was a self contained tank that plugged in and used two hoses, it is possible a hydraulic tracer power unit for a lathe would work.
I would look through the HGR website carefully as I see these units there frequently.
If you spot something at HGR send me the inventory code and I will go look at it for you.

We may still have the manual for said SG. I will look tomorrow on return to the shop.
Pierre

Thanks for the assist. That is the most info I have been given so far. I have a manual repro that I bought off of Amazon because it was the only one I found for my model. I have the 1A618. It looks newer than alot of the other models I have seen but I have no idea when it was built. serial. CH-3753-1A.
I have only found one other one in my searches since I got it.

The manual I have has a drawing of the pump but no specs.

I found a barnes GC power unit on ebay that is a good price, but probably needs work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-S-Bar...-/124402885611?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Of course the grinder needs a teardown, clean, and reassembly. So rebuilding the pump is not a problem.

Thoughts

Oh, and the 1A618 I have also has 3 hydraulic lines. Looks like 1 for travel, 1 for crossfeed and 1 return.

The unit you show on ebay is not what your looking for....you need low pressure and aprox 1 GPM, so look for a 16 x 16 x10 aprox tank with a 1/4 or 1/3 hp motor driving the pump

Back