I had a 3/16" Broach explode on me

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter

I bought this set a couple years ago. They come in very handy from time to time.
My Harbor Freight arbor press doesn't have the reach I need so I used the air/hydraulic press at work. The first pass went swimmingly. I was watching the pressure gauge as there is no feel. I installed the .030" shim on the second pass, got about half way and blammo.
I know these are extremely brittle and probably not the highest quality. But dang.
Now I have a stuck piece and a half finished part with no more broach!
McMaster wants $80 for one.
Oh what's a hobby-machinist to do???

I've had this happen to me a few times at work. Broaches are pricey.
Are you sure the broach wasn't getting cockeyed. That happens a lot if your set up isn't nice and straight. Usually what happens is the broach starts taking a larger cut.

Not sure of your procedure, but I'm told you must advance, release, advance, release on a hyd press to stop any angularity that is happening. I've also been told broaching on a hyd press is a no no. :)

You need the Broach Coach Jeff! LOL
I guess there's something to those nanny messages on the side of drill bit and tap packages, you know: "wear eye protection cutter may shatter" etc.
-Mark

I bought the last broach I got from Shars, they have 3/16" in either B or C size, $35 to $37. They were fine quality, compared similarly to my Dumont broaches. And by the way, I used my HF hyd press, no issues. In fact, because of the overall length of these broaches, it would be challenging to have and afford an arbor press with enough working height.

I've had this happen to me a few times at work. Broaches are pricey.
Are you sure the broach wasn't getting cockeyed. That happens a lot if your set up isn't nice and straight. Usually what happens is the broach starts taking a larger cut.
I was careful to start out vertical. I can see that happening for sure.
I have very little experience with this. I'm sure you may be right.

You know the old saying, if you aren't making mistakes, you aren't learning.
Boy am I learning!!

Last edited:
Back