I had a 3/16" Broach explode on me

You are learning Mike , that's a very dangerous operation . My co-worker ended up with half a broach in his stomach .
I’d never broached anything until we did I think like 15 conveyors. So 30 hubs. 1/4” keys. The boss was very adamant that everything HAD to be done on the 3tn arbor press. It would be instant dismissal if we were seen on the big hydraulic press. I guess they had a guy years before get badly injured with a broach on the hydraulic press. A hydraulic press just doesn’t have any feedback to let you know something is wrong. It’s going to be interesting to see how this antique screw press does because there’s three levels of mechanical advantage.

Good suggestion. In my case, I had no choice. I don't know anyone with an arbor press near me. I love the feel of the arbor press.
I had a chance to buy a Famco that was too big for $150
Too big. I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept. How can an arbor press be too big?
And at that price.

I rolled one out from the dumpster not too long ago . Famco 3 ton . Had my 3 nights off and when I came back , the SOB was gone . Nobody knows where it went . :rolleyes: I'm left with a 1 ton Phase 2 in my shop , although we have plenty other 3 tons in the other shop . A 3 ton for $150 would be a no brainer . :encourage:

I'd like to get one, for safety purposes. :grin:
It all depends on what you’re doing but mine is so handy. I wish I could have found a 3tn and especially one with a ratchet. That’s what I used years ago. But when my 2tn old Jet showed up for $35 I couldn’t pass it up. I’ve used it to straighten small precision shafts, pressing bearing and small broaches. It’s really handy for metal forming too.

Attachments

• 8C7C3421-9927-4AB1-AB40-082C60F1FAF2.jpeg
    8C7C3421-9927-4AB1-AB40-082C60F1FAF2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
  • 8FB5561E-0720-4F9C-BCAA-3D15D4D40FCD.jpeg
    8FB5561E-0720-4F9C-BCAA-3D15D4D40FCD.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 29
  • ACF28B84-F9B0-467B-826E-6DD127F66A8C.jpeg
    ACF28B84-F9B0-467B-826E-6DD127F66A8C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
I have been looking for one locally, but no luck, and finding one cheap, and getting someone to box is not that easy, or cheap. :(

I have been looking for one locally, but no luck, and finding one cheap, and getting someone to box is not that easy, or cheap.
I had one for ya Mike but it went missing . :dunno:

I have been looking for one locally, but no luck, and finding one cheap, and getting someone to box is not that easy, or cheap. :(
I looked for almost 15yrs. Almost all were beat up or missing parts and too expensive. Only recently have I seen reasonable ones. The last one was about 2.5hrs away. 3tn, w/ratchet and on factory stand(very expensive) for $200. Never would return my calls or emails. :(

Hey Jeff , I just found the post on the stray broach I have down the basement . Unfortunately it is a Dumont 1/4" C and not 3/16" . :cussing:
But if anyone else needs it , it's still on the for sale thread .

Ha, you have a SG , you could grind it down to 3/16" if you needed ! :big grin:

I broke a broach when using hydraulic too. Problem is there is no feeling what’s happening. After that, I just used my drill press or my mill for my broaching. But that’s a work around in my opinion. An arbor press is perfect for broaching in my opinion. You can easily feel that broaching plus constantly let up occasionally to help prevent breaking the broach.
Hydraulic presses just have too much slop along with no feed back. It’s a recipe for breaking broaches. All that said, I really never had problems when I used either my drill press or my mill quill. Drill press isn’t as ridged as the mill but I had no problems using my cheap old craftsman Taiwan drill press.

Attachments

• 04358456-3134-46BC-97BC-6339B882C8E8.jpeg
    04358456-3134-46BC-97BC-6339B882C8E8.jpeg
    789.8 KB · Views: 17
Back