I had a 3/16" Broach explode on me

I am sooooo glad for this thread. I had no idea that using a hydraulic press for broaching was a bad Idea and I am sure that I would have broken a broach or worse the first time I did this.

+1 for HobbyMachinist forums !

I broke a broach when using hydraulic too. Problem is there is no feeling what’s happening. After that, I just used my drill press or my mill for my broaching. But that’s a work around in my opinion. An arbor press is perfect for broaching in my opinion. You can easily feel that broaching plus constantly let up occasionally to help prevent breaking the broach.
Hydraulic presses just have too much slop along with no feed back. It’s a recipe for breaking broaches. All that said, I really never had problems when I used either my drill press or my mill quill. Drill press isn’t as ridged as the mill but I had no problems using my cheap old craftsman Taiwan drill press.
While it was a pain to do so many hubs at one time it gave me some intense practice. Where the arbor press is so well suited is its fast( my old Manley catalog calls them speed presses) to lift and set. For me the beginning of the broach was the crucial part. Trying to get everything aligned right is fiddly and hydraulic just to slow and no feel. After the third or fourth one I could feel I got it started right and while it wasn’t exactly easy it went fairly smoothly. When they get hung up, something is wrong. It’s always good to check all the teeth on the broach as one that got dropped or somehow boogered is going to jam.

Hey Jeff , I just found the post on the stray broach I have down the basement . Unfortunately it is a Dumont 1/4" C and not 3/16" . :cussing:
But if anyone else needs it , it's still on the for sale thread .

Ha, you have a SG , you could grind it down to 3/16" if you needed ! :big grin:
Thanks Dave.
I think I’m going to be ok.
I fit the key in the shaft and slid the pulley on carefully.
The damaged section of the pulley is in a spot where it won’t come into play. I got lucky.
It’s a snug fit which is what I was shooting for.
This pulley will run the face plate for the 8” diamond lapping wheels.
I ordered some material from Mc Master.

Attachments

• 82D05714-E3EC-4A62-B0D6-D1491BD12FC6.jpeg
    82D05714-E3EC-4A62-B0D6-D1491BD12FC6.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
I did quite a bit of broaching on Fred's home-brewed hydraulic press. It didn't push reliably straight. Broke one or two broaches. Besides push, back-off (to allow correction) and push again, always broach so you can see the teeth in profile. That way you can tell if it's digging in.

Jeff, if you don't mind the drive, you can use my broach and press. The red-bud is spectacular right now.

Hey Jeff , I just found the post on the stray broach I have down the basement . Unfortunately it is a Dumont 1/4" C and not 3/16" . :cussing:
But if anyone else needs it , it's still on the for sale thread .

Ha, you have a SG , you could grind it down to 3/16" if you needed ! :big grin:
I did learn about A-B and C broach types.
Reading through these posts, I guess I should consider myself lucky.
Agreed, I had no feel for what was happening. I see the draw toward an arbor press. 100%
I did quite a bit of broaching on Fred's home-brewed hydraulic press. It didn't push reliably straight. Broke one or two broaches. Besides push, back-off (to allow correction) and push again, always broach so you can see the teeth in profile. That way you can tell if it's digging in.

Jeff, if you don't mind the drive, you can use my broach and press. The red-bud is spectacular right now.
Thank you, (It's Glenn right?)
"Red Bud Tree" I don't know if that's the name of the song but..., by mark Knopler. One of his popular tunes.
I sure do appreciate it. I would love to visit.

Thank you, (It's Glenn right?)
"Red Bud Tree" I don't know if that's the name of the song but..., by mark Knopler. One of his popular tunes.
I sure do appreciate it. I would love to visit.
It's Craig to family and friends.
Mark may have been referring to a different kind of bud.

Another thing I forgot to mention, a broach will break across the thinnest section and the pieces will generally fly in that direction, Always stand off to the side, out of the line of fire, when pushing.

Craig-! Dang it.
I am so bad with names. If you were a number-no problem :)
Good advice. When she blew, she made an explosive noise and pieces went shooting in all directions.
I was telling Dave, I think I lucked out. I was able to get enough of the key way cut to allow the pulley to fit!!

Yes , they tend to leave bad results when they explode , just glad you weren't in the path of any pieces Jeff .

I have a pneumatic foot operated enerpac 12ton press. It is very handy when you are a one man band. When I broach,I will sit infront of the press,leather apron(so I don't end up with a piece of broach in my stomach ) and safty grasses on and work it with the foot pedal. Press,release,press release. I don't stand in fear that I could loose my balance and snap......goodbuy broach. Alignment is key and don't try and do it in one go. I would have loved to have an Arbor press for these jobs and bearing fitment work.

Just to clarify, although I think our members worked it out, is that it is actually a pneumatic hydraulic press.

Back