1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

I Must Not Be Living Right

Discussion in 'GENERAL SHOP RELATED DISCUSSIONS' started by Billh50, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Billh50

Billh50 Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

First my drill press pulley bearings start going so I stop doing any milling. And then Yesterday I turn on my compressor so a friend can remove a wheel on the wife's truck. ( Brake pads and rotors needed. ) As I turn off the compressor I hear a pop and some loud hissing. A small hole in the bottom of the tank! So no compressor until I either get another tank or spring time to see if I can fix it.
    Beginning to think I can't win in this game of life. It's been one thing after another these last 6yrs. Started with the heart attack then the prostate cancer that won't go away. Two heart failures that put me in the hospital both times. Now no more machining because I can't afford to buy a milling machine.

Well I guess I just needed to vent a bit.

kdecelles and benha like this.
  2. chips&more

chips&more United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Danville
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

First things first! Please forget about the shop, it’s not going anywhere. Take care of YOU, RELAX and smell the roses kinda thing. And get rid of that PC, go see another doctor or two. You can’t enjoy your shop and toys when that time comes. You know about today, so change tomorrow:).

3. Billh50

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

The PC won't go away. Have tried everything already. On shots now to keep it at bay, but it keeps rearing it's ugly head. It's just annoying right now. The heart and no money to replace or fix stuff are the problems right now. And it's easy enough to say change tomorrow. All I can do to change right now is take things easy and forget machining because I won't have any machines to do anything anyway.

4. wawoodman

wawoodman himself, himself H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Seattle
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Bill,
    Sorry you're going through a rough patch. I won't give you any platitudes; just keep your chin up, and hope tomorrow is better.

5. Uglydog

Uglydog United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Dayton
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

Billh50,
    Sure wish you were closer to MN!!

Daryl
    MN

6. bosephus

bosephus United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Lisbon
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

lets talk about your shop . i for one am a firm believer that without some way to occupy your time and enjoy yourself a persons general attitude can go downhill very very quickly .
    ive been there and done that and still struggle with it .

so your drill press , can you get it apart and find out what bearings need replacing ?
    i dont think any of the bearings in a drill press will be a very high precision bearing . and thats good ... it makes for cheap and easily replaced bearings .
    with a part number theres a very good chance that one of us might have or be able to scrounge up some replacements .

the air compressor is a different matter .. try to resist the temptation to just weld it up . i have seen a repaired tank fail first hand and its not something you want to happen to you .
    its just not worth it .
    but that doesn't mean you need to scrap it ... with a bit of scrounging a person could find a non-working compressor with a good tank and just plumb it to your compressor . i see the cheap harbor frieght models at the salvage yard all the time .
    even post on craigs list for a free non working air compressor you might be suprised at how soon you find someone who would be tickled pink to let you haul away their junk , heck if you be selective and wait for the right person you could even find someone willing to bring it to you just to get rid of it .

from one financially challenged person to another ... i feel your pain . but dont give up . there is always a way .

7. Tony Wells

Tony Wells United States Former Vice President Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

In the short term, Bill....you might consider getting one of those tote-tanks from H-F. Not ideal, but will work as a temporary measure. I don't believe they are too expensive. Just have to route the pump out to it instead of the old tank.

8. Subwayrocket

Subwayrocket United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

Sorry to hear about the probs Bill . Count that little "pop" as a blessing in disguise . One of my buddies has a shop , their compressor tank exploded , put a hole thru the ceiling ...he regained consiousness he says 15 mins later the other guy not til ambulance got there. Both have big scars and were hospitalized, then rehab and out of comisssion for about 4 months . When I saw the scars I couldn't believe it . You always hear about this kind of thing , sounds like urban myth but it happens .
    Yeah having stuff go down and cost money is a bummer but you can fix these things . Thank god you're good though ! Have a great New Year !
    ~Steve

9. Whyemier

Whyemier United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Spring Hill
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Your living right. No promises are made to us about our lives so we just live them. Despite your set backs you seem to be handling what life brings your way well enough.
    Life's not just, it's not perfect and it's not always in our favor. It's just life, we do our best with what we have.
    Which when you think about it ain't a whole lot when we begin it.

Just my thoughts.

T Bredehoft and brino like this.
  10. Billh50

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

I already am giving up. Seems every time I try to do something lately. Today I went to use my angle grinder with a cut off blade and the thing would not even run. So now I have to see if I can get it to work. I have 4 or 5 projects I started and can't finish because they need milling. So sometime soon I will be going through everything and either scrapping or selling off what I can.

11. jim18655

jim18655 United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Shickshinny
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

Putting on my asbestos suit first:D (for more than one reason) but you might be able to use a propane tank (100 lb. ?) to replace the tank. Do your own research before you start and make a decision if you want to try it but it should be OK from what I've read. Safety, safety, safety first. If you stand it upside down you could plumb into it and install a drain valve on the inlet. No welding necessary. Tanks are supposed to be rated on the cylinder with a working pressure which I've read should exceed 140 PSI for propane vapor but I would still try to be far away for the first test. Some suggested filling almost full of water before the test to minimize the amount of air in the tank. If you fill it with water several times it will help push the vapors out.
    Good luck. Once again just an idea that might work for the short term. I did have a compressor made with one years ago and never had a problem at normal working pressure.

uncle harry likes this.
  12. David S

David S Canada Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Brockville
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

Bill things appear to be going to hell in a hand basket, but sometimes stuff just happens and a number of random events all occur close together.

My suggestion is to just pick something.. say the drill / mill and take it apart to see what is going on. As has been mentioned we all have all sorts of bearings and things and could possibly help. I have quite a selection of bearings and would send you a set no charge if I had a match.

If your health permits I think it best to work at what you enjoy at the pace you can endure.

I think you need to start having some accomplishments no matter how small to start feeling better.

David

brino likes this.
  13. Bill Gruby

Bill Gruby United States Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

I have spare compressors here Bill. Drive over and get one. They will buy you some time. Call me,, you have my number.

"Billy G"

kwoodhands and brino like this.
  14. Billh50

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

Billy,
    It's ok. Don't think I will be needing it anymore anyway.

15. bosephus

bosephus United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Lisbon
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

bill

you are coming from a place i understand very well . a few years back i had to make a choice of continuing to work and relying on pain killers to get threw my days to have a paycheck .
    or taking a modest buy out from my employer and combining it with some gas lease money to have a small annuity to get by on until i am old enough to collect social security and my 401k .
    at 42 years old it was a bitter pill to swallow and a very hard choice ... keep a paycheck as many years as possible and eventually have no real quality of life .
    or swallow some pride and adjust to life without the extras . i chose to give up all the little extra thing that a paycheck brought and try to preserve some sort of quality of life and not work myself into a wheel chair at 50 .

i have to be honest at first it sucked ... i was depressed and felt like a big fat worthless turd . ( something i still struggle with )
    i spent almost a year doing absolutely nothing until one day my long suffering girl friend told me to either find a hobby or she was finished with me .
    while it didnt snap me out of my depression it did bring back a desire ive always had to own a lathe .

that desire soon brought me to this site when i started researching what lathe to buy . i joined up and with the remainder of my savings account i had a brand new g0602 lathe heading my way .
    for a brief period things where looking up .. i had a new toy and something i enjoyed to occupy my time .

but then i realized that like you i to wanted a mill ... the lathe only opened the door to a world of possibilities . and very much like you the possibility of ever getting a mill seemed like one of life's impossible fantasies .. i simply didn't have the money available . depression soon reared its ugly head again .

but i now had something i didnt have before ... all of the very fine members right here at the hobby machinist .

it wasn't long until with the help of all the very supportive people here i had a very viable plan formed to earn enough to buy a mill . i kicked off the yoke of self denial and tried to stay positive even when the big man upstairs placed road blocks in my path ,.. the first one was my car bursting into flames while driving down the road one day .
    then not long after that some low lifes broke into my shop and cleared out most everything that wasn't bolted down .
    both incidents pretty much killed my hopes of getting a mill ,... and while it was disappointing with the help of the guys here i was able to keep a positive attitude .
    a few members helped me out with some of the basic tooling i needed to earn the money to rebuild my shop .

while i may not have the vertical mill i still lust after ... with the support and encouragement from all of the members here i have managed to replace most of everything that was stolen and a few new machines as well .
    thanks to everyone here i now have a pretty nice snap on tool cabinet and all of my basic hand tools and lathe tooling again .
    a surface grinder , a small horizontal milling machine , shaper , power hacksaw . drill press and shop press
    along with the knowledge that as long as i try my best to stay positive I'll eventually get the mill i want .

getting threw this rough patch isn't something you have to do on your own ... theres a whole group of guys here to help you get threw it .
    try to stay positive theres always a light at the end of the tunnel .

brino likes this.
  16. terrywerm

terrywerm New Member Liaison Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Jordan
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

And that light at the end of the tunnel is NOT always a train, either!

Hang in there Bill. We've all been there, maybe not in your exact situation, but we've all been in similar situations. The kind that seemed hopeless. But, given a little time, things turn around again and things start to go just a little bit better. Every little step offers some improvement. There might be some little setbacks along the way, but in general things move forward and it becomes a journey of success.

Don't forget, every journey begins with a single step. Take little steps if you must, but do your best to make each step a good one and soon you will be looking back to the beginning and you will be surprised at how far you have come.

Scruffy likes this.
  17. 12bolts

12bolts Global Moderator Staff Member Active Member

City:
    Hinchinbrook

-Return to Top-

Bill you have a PM

Cheers Phil

18. Hukshawn

Hukshawn Canada H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Bowmanville
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

This is heart breaking... I have never seen such a group of practically complete strangers band together to give such strength to someone down in the dumps.
    Bill, I don't know you, but I know depression. it takes a fast, strong, hold. Please, keep your chin up, friend!

scwhite and brino like this.
  19. Billh50

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

I do appreciate the sentiments. But I believe I should not have even started this post. I am going to be absent from the site for a bit. I need to think about how I can start saving some money for things we need. So I need to see what things we can either cut back or eliminate. Right now I usually only have about $50 extra at the end of most months and sometimes not even that in the winter. And if something breaks, like the truck just did, it means we go without something or end up borrowing money and the wife ends up working for nothing for the summer.

20. Bill Gruby

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

Call me dammit, I can help. Your phone is not working.

"Bill"

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  21. boostin53

boostin53 United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Arlington
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Like others have offered, I too have several types of bearings laying around. I would gladly send you what you need to get your machine up and running. I would also be willing to help out in any other way that I can.

I like to help other as much as I can, when I can. You need another angle grinder? PM me your address and I will send one to you with a hand full of disks. I'm sure plenty of other members will help you however they can. I understand this post was not meant to try and get people to help you out. But we're essentially a big family. And I will do whatever I can to help a brother out.

Seriously, PM me and I will send you an angle grinder.

Bill Gruby likes this.
  22. Billh50

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

Well I haven't been able to fix anything lately. Been having some issues with side effects of some of my meds. And then there is the problem of insurance for my wife that cropped up. Seems accesshealth did not renew her insurance and she has to go in to have her 3 aneurysms checked. And of course Accesshealth says to talk to Connecticare and vice versa.

I did find out one thing about my pulley though. The extended part of the inner race on the bearing is pressed into the pulley and the outer race of the top one into the top piece of the head. The bottom outer race goes into into a counterbore below. So I may have to make a spacer and weld it to the inner race of a standard bearing.

23. Bill Gruby

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

Get a bearing with the same OD but a larger ID. Make a steel bushing to press into the bore. Welding to the bearing will shorten its life considerably.

"Billy G"

24. Billh50

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

I had thought of that too. Started feeling a bit better today so may get down into the shop in next couple days and see what the bearings are for sizes.

boostin53 likes this.
  25. Billh50

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

Well it was going better until last weekend. Getting ready for bed Friday night and left arm started hurting and minor chest discomfort. So off to the ER only to be admitted. Seems some scar tissue from the prostate removal (for cancer) was causing a backup of fluid. That in turn caused heart failure and a minor heart attack. Had 3 liters of fluid buildup behind the scar tissue. So after a weekend in the hospital I lost 14 pounds and have a catheter. This Wednesday I get to see my urologist to find out what he is going to do about the tissue and the enlarged bladder. But for now I can't sit for very long as it hurts and I still have the catheter. So no shop time for a while. I will be helping BillyG with his project as far as some CAD work though. So I am not totally useless yet.

26. Tony Wells

Tony Wells United States Former Vice President Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

If you guys would like another set of eyes on the drawings, I'd be happy to help proof them. Not saying it's necessary, but if you want it, I can make time to look them over.

27. Billh50

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

Well I am doing much better. Got down into the shop for about an hour yesterday. Didn't do much but started a plan to straighten the mess up down there. Still hoping the bladder shrinks back to normal soon so my urologist can fix things to work again. Still wish I had a good miller though. Cause I spotted 4 or 5 project I started that need milling. But I guess I can forget them and just scrap the material. We all have to give up our hobby sometime.

28. 34_40

34_40 United States A Most Active User Active Member

City:
    New Bedford
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

billh50, I've got the little Atlas HM just sitting, if you'd like, you can have use of it for as long as you see fit.
    Some arbors, vises, cutting tools.. it might work for you?

29. Billh50

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

That is tempting. But the travel is not good for me right now. And Billy G did offer the use of his also. But I hate using other peoples stuff unless it is absolutely necessary. just the way I was taught. if you need to use something more than twice it's time to get your own.

scwhite likes this.
  30. 34_40

34_40 United States A Most Active User Active Member

City:
    New Bedford
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

I didn't mean for you to travel.. I'd bring the mill to you.
    Keep it as long as you want. Since I got the 8520, I rarely use the Atlas.
    It would be better (to me) if I knew it was being used once in a while rather than just sitting there.

Not trying to twist your arm, but the offer is there if you want it.

HBilly1022 likes this.