I Must Not Be Living Right

Billh50

RIP 2018
Rest In Peace
First my drill press pulley bearings start going so I stop doing any milling. And then Yesterday I turn on my compressor so a friend can remove a wheel on the wife's truck. ( Brake pads and rotors needed. ) As I turn off the compressor I hear a pop and some loud hissing. A small hole in the bottom of the tank! So no compressor until I either get another tank or spring time to see if I can fix it.
Beginning to think I can't win in this game of life. It's been one thing after another these last 6yrs. Started with the heart attack then the prostate cancer that won't go away. Two heart failures that put me in the hospital both times. Now no more machining because I can't afford to buy a milling machine.

Well I guess I just needed to vent a bit.

First things first! Please forget about the shop, it’s not going anywhere. Take care of YOU, RELAX and smell the roses kinda thing. And get rid of that PC, go see another doctor or two. You can’t enjoy your shop and toys when that time comes. You know about today, so change tomorrow:).

The PC won't go away. Have tried everything already. On shots now to keep it at bay, but it keeps rearing it's ugly head. It's just annoying right now. The heart and no money to replace or fix stuff are the problems right now. And it's easy enough to say change tomorrow. All I can do to change right now is take things easy and forget machining because I won't have any machines to do anything anyway.

Bill,
Sorry you're going through a rough patch. I won't give you any platitudes; just keep your chin up, and hope tomorrow is better.

Billh50,
Sure wish you were closer to MN!!

Daryl
MN

lets talk about your shop . i for one am a firm believer that without some way to occupy your time and enjoy yourself a persons general attitude can go downhill very very quickly .
ive been there and done that and still struggle with it .

so your drill press , can you get it apart and find out what bearings need replacing ?
i dont think any of the bearings in a drill press will be a very high precision bearing . and thats good ... it makes for cheap and easily replaced bearings .
with a part number theres a very good chance that one of us might have or be able to scrounge up some replacements .

the air compressor is a different matter .. try to resist the temptation to just weld it up . i have seen a repaired tank fail first hand and its not something you want to happen to you .
its just not worth it .
but that doesn't mean you need to scrap it ... with a bit of scrounging a person could find a non-working compressor with a good tank and just plumb it to your compressor . i see the cheap harbor frieght models at the salvage yard all the time .
even post on craigs list for a free non working air compressor you might be suprised at how soon you find someone who would be tickled pink to let you haul away their junk , heck if you be selective and wait for the right person you could even find someone willing to bring it to you just to get rid of it .

from one financially challenged person to another ... i feel your pain . but dont give up . there is always a way .

In the short term, Bill....you might consider getting one of those tote-tanks from H-F. Not ideal, but will work as a temporary measure. I don't believe they are too expensive. Just have to route the pump out to it instead of the old tank.

Sorry to hear about the probs Bill . Count that little "pop" as a blessing in disguise . One of my buddies has a shop , their compressor tank exploded , put a hole thru the ceiling ...he regained consiousness he says 15 mins later the other guy not til ambulance got there. Both have big scars and were hospitalized, then rehab and out of comisssion for about 4 months . When I saw the scars I couldn't believe it . You always hear about this kind of thing , sounds like urban myth but it happens .
Yeah having stuff go down and cost money is a bummer but you can fix these things . Thank god you're good though ! Have a great New Year !
~Steve

Your living right. No promises are made to us about our lives so we just live them. Despite your set backs you seem to be handling what life brings your way well enough.
Life's not just, it's not perfect and it's not always in our favor. It's just life, we do our best with what we have.
Which when you think about it ain't a whole lot when we begin it.

Just my thoughts.

lets talk about your shop . i for one am a firm believer that without some way to occupy your time and enjoy yourself a persons general attitude can go downhill very very quickly .
ive been there and done that and still struggle with it .

so your drill press , can you get it apart and find out what bearings need replacing ?
i dont think any of the bearings in a drill press will be a very high precision bearing . and thats good ... it makes for cheap and easily replaced bearings .
with a part number theres a very good chance that one of us might have or be able to scrounge up some replacements .
The last time I checked they told me they didn't make them any more. But I was told they now sell them. But there is only about .02 of the bearing ID showing in the center of the splines of the pulley. So not sure how to remove the bearings. But it is still a drill press so a lot of what I want to make is out of the question.
the air compressor is a different matter .. try to resist the temptation to just weld it up . i have seen a repaired tank fail first hand and its not something you want to happen to you .
its just not worth it .
but that doesn't mean you need to scrap it ... with a bit of scrounging a person could find a non-working compressor with a good tank and just plumb it to your compressor . i see the cheap harbor frieght models at the salvage yard all the time .
even post on craigs list for a free non working air compressor you might be suprised at how soon you find someone who would be tickled pink to let you haul away their junk , heck if you be selective and wait for the right person you could even find someone willing to bring it to you just to get rid of it .
I can get a much smaller tank but then I don't think I will be able to use my air tools well.
from one financially challenged person to another ... i feel your pain . but dont give up . there is always a way .
I already am giving up. Seems every time I try to do something lately. Today I went to use my angle grinder with a cut off blade and the thing would not even run. So now I have to see if I can get it to work. I have 4 or 5 projects I started and can't finish because they need milling. So sometime soon I will be going through everything and either scrapping or selling off what I can.

Back