1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

I want to buy my last pair of safety glasses

Discussion in 'SAFETY ISSUES & EQUIPMENT' started by digiex_chris, Sep 11, 2014.

1. digiex_chris

digiex_chris Canada Active User Active Member

City:
    South of Winnipeg
    State:
    Manitoba

-Return to Top-

I'm tired of these plastic safety glasses getting fogged and scratched over time. A while ago I had a normal pair of glasses with glass lenses, and could let them rattle all over the dash of the truck without a scratch, and could always clean them. I've seen glass lensed safety glasses a long time ago. Do they still make such things? How's the impact ratings?

itsme_Bernie and Bill C. like this.
  2. JimDawson

JimDawson Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

You can still get glass safety glasses for laser safety. They meet ANSI Z87 (basic impact), it looks like all of the High Impact lenses are plastic (polycarbonate)

Check McMaster and Grainger.

itsme_Bernie likes this.
  3. chuckorlando

chuckorlando Active Member Active Member

-Return to Top-

Might look into some tear offs like we use for off road goggles.

4. stupoty

stupoty Active User Active Member

City:
    London

-Return to Top-

I ware normal glasses (in addition to safeties when required) i have issues with some fluids degrading the coatings, ive never come across a handy table of what chemicals are bad for the plastics and coatings.

i have had some success with glass polishing goo for car glass in making the safety googles more transparent when they have got light scratches.

stuart

5. digiex_chris

digiex_chris Canada Active User Active Member

City:
    South of Winnipeg
    State:
    Manitoba

-Return to Top-

Hmm I keep thinking I would prefer high impact. I guess poly it is then. I'll try the glass polish.

6. stupoty

stupoty Active User Active Member

City:
    London

-Return to Top-

I have just remembered seeing a video on u tube about polishing scratches out of acrylic watch glass, they did the thing of sanding the surface with 2000 grit and buffing with a compound like wet sanding paint.

some googeling i think, sorry i cant remember the name of it.

stuart

7. Cobra

Cobra United Kingdom Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Moncton
    State:
    New Brunswick

-Return to Top-

Unless they are prescription, you will spend more money and time on polish than simply buying another pair of polycarbonate.

8. rdhem2

rdhem2 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Yakima
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Consult your eye care professional. I am sure he can grind some impact resistant lens for you even if you do not need a prescription. The guy I use loves doing oddball projects. He spends a lot of time with me to make special shooting glasses. Last set of prescription lens he made for my frames were $35. That was made for one eye only to focus clearly on the front sight 31" away.

itsme_Bernie likes this.
  9. GarageGuy

GarageGuy United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Cary
    State:
    Illinois

-Return to Top-

There is a thread a little ways down the list called "Magnifying Safety Glasses". Here is a link: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=23662

I found bi-focal safety glasses in my prescription on Amazon, and they are so comfortable and clear that all my old safety glasses are now in a box on the shelf. Use the cheap microfiber towels from Harbor Freight to clean them. These are clearer and easier to see through than my real prescription glasses. Here are the ones I got for $6.58:

http://www.amazon.com/Radians-C2-11...20277&sr=8-2&keywords=bi-focal+safety+glasses

They are available in a number of magnification levels. I bought four different styles and one pair with higher magnification for welding and really small parts or reading very fine print.

Hope this helps,

GG

itsme_Bernie likes this.
  10. jgedde

jgedde United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Middle Island
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

I thought exactly as you did. I get one pair of insurance covered glasses a year.

Last year, I told my optometrist I had an odd request... I wanted my reading prescription put into safety glasses. I thought he'd think I was crazy, but he brought out a whole bunch of frames for me to choose from that could be fitted with safety lenses and side guards.... I could take the guard set off, and they looked just like regular glasses when I did (albeit a bit big). They were marked z87 and everything.

I got the polycarbonate lenses, but he said he could do my prescription in glass if I wanted. Next time I will.

John

11. kd4gij

kd4gij United States Active User Active Member

City:
    St. Petersburg
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Poly lenses have a coating on the for scratches. If you buff them you remove the coating and then thay scratch verry easey. Alcohol is about the only thing that won't degrade them. Put thay arethe safest lenses to use. Glass safty lenses are good just have to be more carfull with them

12. MARVIN GARDENS

MARVIN GARDENS United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    TULARE
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I lose mine so often that I'm a long way from buying my last pair.

There's a bunch of them around here somewhere.:confusion:

Regards.

Bob

itsme_Bernie likes this.
  13. Mark in Indiana

Mark in Indiana United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Evansville
    State:
    Indiana

-Return to Top-

I've had good luck with Uvex lasting for 7 years of home shop use. These days, I just keep 4 pair of the cheapest glasses that are suitable for my needs around.

Cleaning them, I just use soap, hot water and a very soft cloth.

You bring back the memories of the safety glasses provided to us in shop class in the 70s. Horn rimmed, wire side shields and weighed a ton.

14. w9jbc

w9jbc United States Active User Active Member

City:
    new haven
    State:
    Indiana

-Return to Top-

At least in Indiana you can still get glass lenses they generally take longer to get and might cost more. I have had glass for several years myself, I continue to get them because the grinding dust at work kills the plastic lenses!

15. w9jbc

w9jbc United States Active User Active Member

City:
    new haven
    State:
    Indiana

-Return to Top-

16. kd4gij

kd4gij United States Active User Active Member

City:
    St. Petersburg
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

You can buy an allfull lot of $1.00 safty glasses for the cost of glass. And thay are safer.

17. Bill C.

Bill C. United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Clarksville
    State:
    Indiana

-Return to Top-

I don't think any of them are shatterproof, you have to read the fine print on them. And when I used a face-shield but it would cloud up too. I used regular safety glasses before I had to use prescription glass. I had used a plastic one in front of the glasses. I tried cheap plastic goggles but the band kept stretching.

In either case definity need side shields.

18. kvt

kvt Active User Active Member

City:
    San Antonio
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I also wear Glasses and need them to see what I am doing, I was doing the wearing the one pair over the other, but now think I need a proper set that are designed to go over normal glasses or something, A sliver got in my eyebrow then fell down into my eye recently. Also decided maybe I should wear a cap while doing work. At this point I will try even the cheap ones if it will do the job, If anyone knows of some good ones that you can wear over my glasses. Let me know. I normally have to pay over 200 even after insurance for my glasses, and that gets expensive if I mess them up, and I have.

19. itsme_Bernie

itsme_Bernie United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    NNJ
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

Hah hah Bob!

I also would like nice glasses, but can't keep a pair in the same place twice, so I keep a cheap pair hanging on every machine. I still have times I Chaz's find one!

Bernie

Bernie

20. MARVIN GARDENS

MARVIN GARDENS United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    TULARE
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

My cousin was blinded in his one good eye a couple of months ago. He was born with no sight in his left eye. He was uncoupling a hose from from his Craftsman compressor and it broke loose, striking him and smashed his right eye. I now won't even drive a nail without safety glasses on and usually buy a pair every time I am in Lowe's or the Home Despot.

I can pretty much tell you where every tool, bit, or punch I own is but can't seem to keep to keep track of my safety glasses. I find them in my truck, one my desk, dresser, or anywhere else I've stopped to write something or talk on the phone. My wife tells me that I am getting to where I am lucky to find my butt with both hands.

Regards.

Bob

21. MARVIN GARDENS

City:
    TULARE
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

My cousin was blinded in his one good eye a couple of months ago. He was born with no sight in his left eye. He was uncoupling a hose from from his Craftsman compressor and as it came loose, it struck him and smashed his right eye. I now won't even drive a nail without safety glasses on and usually buy a pair every time I am in Lowe's or the Home Despot.

I can pretty much tell you where every tool, bit, or punch I own is but can't seem to keep to keep track of my safety glasses. I find them in my truck, one my desk, dresser, or anywhere else I've stopped to write something or talk on the phone. My wife tells me that I am getting to where I am lucky to find my butt with both hands.

Regards.

Bob

22. Boswell

Boswell United States Hobby Machinist since 2010 H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Cedar Park
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

So far I have been doing pretty good with Reading glasses and a face shield. I really like the face shield, I have not had any problems with it fogging up so far.

23. MARVIN GARDENS

City:
    TULARE
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I wear a face shield as well. Depending on the job I am doing, I often wear safety glasses and a face shield.

I am a gather of old stuff and found this sign after my cousin's accident.

It now hangs in my shop. I think it is cool but also acts as a reminder for me.

_57-1_zpsqj57nzaz.jpg

Regards.

Bob