Identify Common Types Of Scrap Steel

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Q1) Someone had posted a list of common scrap steel items and what type of steel they typically were some months ago. I can't seem to find that list. Does anyone know where I can find that?

Q2) I have about 9 used lawnmower blades from a rear mounted tractor mower. Would these be weldable with MIG? I'm thinking about using them to make some new skid shoes for my tractor mounted snowblower.

I wouldn't trust half of the listed items in that chart. I guess if you were making Damascus knives/ swords, it would be ok. Another good source is looking at some of the steel companies books, they give excellent listing of what steels are use for common industrial parts, not so much for automotive industry. The old Jorgensen steel "blue" book was excellent steel book to look at.
Also, depending on the region of the country you live in, may have a effect on what kind of scrap the local steel yards bring in. In my area, a lot of refinery steels, generally low alloy, some chrome content, also oilfield steels, mostly alloys. Very little aluminum, brass, some stainless steel.

Q1) Someone had posted a list of common scrap steel items and what type of steel they typically were some months ago. I can't seem to find that list. Does anyone know where I can find that?

Q2) I have about 9 used lawnmower blades from a rear mounted tractor mower. Would these be weldable with MIG? I'm thinking about using them to make some new skid shoes for my tractor mounted snowblower.

Hi CluelessNewB,
Q2) Yes, the blades can be welded with mig- most steels can be

are you going true mig or flux core?

are you going true mig or flux core?

I can do either true mig or flux core, any recommendations? This surely isn't a critical project. The shoes rub on the ground and last about 4 seasons. This seemed like a good project to recycle these old blades. New factory shoes run about $25 each. I just didn't want to waste my time with something that was just not weldable. For those those who live in the snow free south this is about what they look like. I won't need to do the slots, just two holes for mounting bolts. They are about 10" long.

SB_skid_shoe.jpg

I can do either true mig or flux core, any recommendations? This surely isn't a critical project. The shoes rub on the ground and last about 4 seasons. This seemed like a good project to recycle these old blades. New factory shoes run about $25 each. I just didn't want to waste my time with something that was just not weldable. For those those who live in the snow free south this is about what they look like. I won't need to do the slots, just two holes for mounting bolts. They are about 10" long.
View attachment 139637

i can't say for sure, but to bend them you may need to anneal them either in a bbq or a bonfire.
let em cool overnight in ashes or sand- (earth would work in a pinch)
personally, i'd go flux core for better penetration, but be prepared for a little extra spatter.
have fun, looks like a great use of recycled materials!!! :grin:
very cool project!

you may need to anneal them either in a bbq or a bonfire

I have a wood fired furnace that I have used in the past. I just put the metal in a hot fire and let it burn all night. By noon the next day it has cooled enough to handle. I haven't tried that with these blades yet but that was my plan. It's been so warm here we haven't even thought of starting a wood fire yet. My replacement shoes will only have a single bend at each end, not like the double bend in the photo above. (The original ones only have a single bend.)

Back