Just acquired K&T #3 vertical

Here's a picture, with a standard sharpie on it for some idea of size.
It only had the dividing plate that is on it, no graduated dial. It does have a splined shaft on the side, apparently there is a mechanism (which I don't have) to hook it into the table power feed so that it turns in conjunction with table feed for cutting spirals. I may eventually look into a stepper/encoder solution to so something similar. (Tom Lipton had a recent video on doing that).
IMG_3665.JPG

The K&T is getting a paint job. I’m working top down. Step one is to hit any cracked or loose paint with a wire wheel on the angle grinder. Step two is to clean any exposed cast iron and prime it. Step three is a bit of glazing putty to fill any deep holes from missing paint. Then sand that. Step 4 is thoroughly cleaning before paint. Step 5 is a first coat of paint. then repeat 3-5 to get a smooth surface, using a roller wherever. possible for the painting.

Thing is I’m doing this in small areas from the top down rather than trying to do obe step on the whole thing before proceeding. For me, this helps me know what level of effort I need to get a level of finish quality. Not trying for a factory new finish but I’m hoping to make this look nice.

I like this blue-gray.
32F39A49-F959-474F-8495-7D256634F383.jpeg

Looks like the motor is going to have to come out. The wiring to the motor was not up to my standards, solid wire not stranded, looked like 14ga. Tried to use the old wire to pull new wire through the corrugated conduit, but couldn't do it easily and pretty soon pieces of conduit, etc were all over the floor. Pulling the motor out will be a good chance to check it over and clean it up, and probably put in new bearings. But I would be surprised if the motor weighs less than 500 lbs. It is truly massive. It sits in the base maybe 4" off the floor. I'll take pictures when I get it out.

Looks like the motor is going to have to come out. The wiring to the motor was not up to my standards
Yep, do it right, and do it once!

I would be surprised if the motor weighs less than 500 lbs. It is truly massive.
Nice. Any replacement would be half that....max....mass and quality!

I'll take pictures when I get it out.
Excellent. Thanks!

-brino

Yep, do it right, and do it once!
I have no problem with that philosophy. My problem is when that turns into "do it all at once". I was hoping to do a cosmetic and basic electrical clean up on this for now and avoid a major project, which pulling the motor out will be. Because then I'll want to take the motor apart, and put in new bearings, ...

I still have a Monarch 10EE in pieces, with a motor controller to finish building. And a monster Monarch to pull the gearbox off to replace a cracked tumbler, and replace the apron. And I'm trying to build a new shop this summer to house all of that.

In case there's any doubt, I'm having a whole lot of FUN with all of these toys tools.

I've been following your 10EE thread, but just today bumped into the shop build thread and, later, this one.

You've got a bunch of irons in the fire. Great stuff. I love it.

Along with pictures of the removed motor, I'd like to see photos of your set-up/process getting it out.

I wonder if those motor bearings are supposed to be lubricated with oil rather than grease? It seems that many people think a Zerk fitting must require grease

Do you expect to find rolling element bearings or Babbitt?

Regardless, it will be interesting to learn what you find.

Last edited:
Along with pictures of the removed motor, I'd like to see photos of your set-up/process getting it out.
Only four bolts to hold it in, and it should slide out horizontally. I have forks for the tractor. I’ll probably want to take the motor over to the other shop where I have more tools, so straight onto the forks and over to the other shop is likely. Likely a come-along to slide it out. Unfortunately it is turned so the motor is about 6’ from the back wall. Have to turn the mill at least 90, but that needs doing anyway.

I’m also waiting for a overload relay (heater) to go with this motor, no overload protection as was originally wired.

I will probably want to deal with the 612 QCGB and apron, and maybe the rotary table before pulling the motor out. Otherwise too many loose parts to keep track of.

I wonder if those motor bearings are supposed to be lubricated with oil rather than grease? It seems that many people think a Zerk fitting must require grease

Do you expect to find rolling element bearings or Babbitt?

Regardless, it will be interesting to learn what you find.
Doubt they are babbit, fairly short length on the bell housing, and plenty of timkens in the mill itself.

Probably going to be hard to find docs for the motor, but I’m going to guess grease. Oil would pretty much need a reservoir to not all get slung out of the bearings in a few minutes.

Got the motor out and up on the bench to clean up. Turns pretty smoothly but the bearing on the belt end has a bit of a tick, so it'll come apart and both bearings will get replaced. Standard 12oz beverage can included for scale. Thumbnails so you can click to open for full size.IMG_3781.JPGIMG_3782.JPG

Back