Keeping Polished Brass Shiny... How?

jgedde

Active User
Registered
I'm building a steam engine right now from a casting kit. I've gone FAR overboard: hand scraping the iron castings, grinding and polishing the brass castings, using PPG direct gloss automotive three part paint.

My question is this: how can I keep the polished brass parts looking good for as long as possible? I don't like the idea of sprayed coatings (e.g. Nyalic, lacquer, etc) as it's a PITA to apply and takes away from the shine.

This engine is being built to be show quality and will never see UV rays, salt water, etc. Just the occasional fingerprint. But, it will be handled and used...

Any ideas? Right now I'm trying car wax as a test.

Thanks!
John

Wax will slow it down, but the only thing I know of to prevent oxidation is clearcoat. Musical instruments use lacquer but there is no reason why you couldn't use urethane clear. You could always nickel plate the brass. That would be a "period" finish that looks great and weathers well.

Are there photographs of this steam engine project?

Tom

Have a look at acrylic, I have had good luck with it on polished metals.

Wax will slow it down, but the only thing I know of to prevent oxidation is clearcoat. Musical instruments use lacquer but there is no reason why you couldn't use urethane clear. You could always nickel plate the brass. That would be a "period" finish that looks great and weathers well.

Are there photographs of this steam engine project?

Tom

There are a ton of photos as I am documen ting the project start to finish for post to this forum. Here is a sneak preview though...

sneak.jpg

John

sneak.jpg

John, now you've got us hooked. Can't wait to see the whole presentation. Very nice.

Hi john
For keeping my clocks etc bright and shiny I use Carnuaba wax
It works a treat, and allows the parts to be handled without loosing there brightnes.
Look at www.m-p.co.uk under the name of Clockshine.

Regards Brian

Back