lantern tool post rocker

tew45

Registered
Registered
I need a couple of lantern tool post rockers for a 12 inch Atlas lathe. Either to purchase or how to machine some for personal use.

Scribe / saw / grinder on material , maybe until you find some

Figure out the length and arc you need. Get piece of round stock that corresponds and is as wide as your rockers need to be. Cut the rockers as shown below.

circle.gif

This style works too and is a lot easier to make than the actual rocker type. Between the three different notch heights and the angle built in to the tool holders, you can get about any centre height you need.

-frank

image.jpeg

like Charles says ---get the arc degrees needed and find a flat piece of material---drill a half inch hole in center and grab a long half inch bolt to mount between two nuts--then put in lathe chuck and turn the circle size you need and the thickness you need---you should get at least two or more sections by cutting as Charles shows with band saw or hack saw---Dave

I need a couple of lantern tool post rockers for a 12 inch Atlas lathe. Either to purchase or how to machine some for personal use.
It might take a sphere turning rig. The rocker (on my old post) seats against the spherical
concavity in the surrounding washer, though others have a slot
in a thick washer (would take a cylinder section). Examine the parts you have.

You really don't need to use a rocker under the toolholder. Use some flat washers under the toolholder to bring the tool close to center height then adjust the tool in or out of the toolholder to perfectly center it. Once you lock the tool down, every time you remove the holder and replace it it will be on center.

After some research I think the rockers will conform to a 2.5 inch radius. So 5 inch OD tubing with a .375 wall would work for machining stock. The length and needed width would have to be cut and the sections milled to around .312 then one side milled flat and cross grooved. Case harden the complete rockers. I will check my scrap pile for the tubing. Another option; .312 rectangular stock might be heated and bent to the right arc and be milled and case hardened.

Why would you want to use a lantern tool post when a quick change is so much better?

Back