Lathe Cutting Tools

TXShelbyman

Registered
Registered
What do most of you guys use on your lathe. Do you use tooling with inserts or do you grind your own tools? I've been out of machining for about 40 years and I know things have changed. I am trying to get back in the swing of it. Thanks!

Jeb Watts

Rong Fu mill clone
11" Sheldon lathe
6" Atlas lathe
Horizontal Atlas mill

Welcome to HM, Jeb!

I use both HSS and inserted carbide on my 11" lathe; 90% of the time I use HSS. On older, slower lathes, I think HSS is a good choice but there are many who disagree. For your little Atlas, though, I would only use HSS because it lacks the rigidity, speed and power carbide requires.

Hig Speed Steel, (HSS) is the way to learn cutting on a lathe. Inserted Carbide tooling is for professionals who must make time pay for the tooling. Its great if you have lots of the same work, lots of horsepower, and little time.
Learn to use HSS, you may never go to carbide, but if you do you will have the experience to know what you want when you need it.

I use carbide inserts 99% of the time. I have one QCTP tool holder with HSS mounted in case I'm doing an interrupted cut. Also have a couple of very small diameter HSS boring bars with and without a 60 deg. point for threading or boring. Just getting lazy in my old age as my bench grinders would require a 30 foot walk from the lathes to touch up a tool bit.

Like others above have mentioned, start with HSS and learn to grind/stone proper tool bits. Then try some inserts. The Arthur R. Warner company sells HSS inserts that may give you the best of both worlds. Here's their web site and a snippy of their HSS inserts which should drop into the appropriate tool holder. You can stone/grind these for resuse. I don't have any of their products (yet), but have never read a negative comment about them.

The triangular "T" series are a good ones to get as there are many sources for the 5-piece carbide insert ('3' size) 1/2" or 5/8" shank sets of tool bits out there for under $40. Shars, CDCOtools, etc. That'll let you swap between HSS and carbide inserts to decide which way you want to go. Or like most of us on the forum, buy both because too many options is always an option . . .

I buy my carbide inserts primarily off eBay. Generally they can be found for about $1 each. If you go the carbide insert route, do a search on eBay for the bit size/style you're after and dozens of matches will show up. Had very good luck with the seller "zimi-hk" and others.

Bruce

http://www.arwarnerco.com/

upload_2017-6-16_7-42-56.png

I use HSS almost exclusively. The only time I use carbide is on a burnt edge or maybe a weld repair. My lathe is a 15" SB 1930's vintage so it uses slower speeds. For me, the type of tooling I would use would depend on a few things: the material, the OD, the rigidity of the machine, the set-up, etc. etc.. Also, in a lot of cases, HSS requires less HP from a machine (because of positive rake and better cutting). It's easy to tweak the grind on a tool for whatever you are doing and not so much for carbide...

Bottom line, it doesn't make much difference as long as you get the results you want/need and have the money to pay for it! ;)

Have fun re-discovering you hobby!
Ted

I use carbide inserts about 95% of the time and with extreme rough or interrupted cuts, the last 5%, I use bonded carbide tool bits. The inserts I use range from about $1 each to about $25 each, their type is based on the material and type of cut. I buy the bonded carbide tool bits, by the box, usually at about $.25-$.50 each, which to me, makes them throw aways. I use them to get down to the point, where I can switch to insert tools, without ruining inserts.

I started out using HSS in my grandfather's shop and continued to use them, when I got machines of my own, I got angry, when in the middle of a cut, I had to regrind the tool, and having to reset to get the tool back to the original cutting position, inserts are much easier. I think the last time I rummaged through the HSS selection, was about 8-10 years ago, when I needed a piece of 1/4 in HSS stock, for one of the friends. I haven't used HSS in the last 15+ years.

The types and grades of carbide inserts available today, is unbelievable, compared to what was available 30-40 years ago. Inserts like the CCMT series, has changed the machining world, for about 15-20 of the local (home shop) maching guys I deal with on a regular basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only use carbide inserts on my 1340, and they work very well for me. Same on my previous SB1001 lathe.

But according to a friend I do tend to turn at higher speeds than some folks do. Maybe that is why it works for me?

I use brazed carbide or HSS tools. The primary reason is that I can dress/regrind tools which provides for very economical operation.

I've been using 1/4" HSS bits with a Diamond Tool holder, which is a tangential type holder. I love it. Tool bits are easily found, cheap, and last seemingly forever. I was going to go with carbide inserts but couldn't justify the cost in a home shop. Also considered AR Warner's HSS inserts but I don't like the fact that they're the only place that has them so you're locked into them. Check out a tangential holder. Amazing results.

Back