Lathe Painting Questions.

kvt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Ok, I'm tearing down repairing, and repainting my used Federal tool Taiwanese 10 x24. I have found a bunch of loose paint, Rust, and rust under paint, Thus I am scraping where loose, and then sanding the rest to ruff it up to get it ready for paint. My question is what do people do to keep from messing up the ball oilers on their lathes when they paint them. Putting tape over them would be a real pain. And I would think there should be something that you could put on them to keep the paint from sticking.
The ways, etc I will use blue painters tape on. But those little oilers. How do others do it, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Ken

This^^^^^^use a Q-tip or alike to apply.

Yeah, a dabe of grease or wipe the paint off immediately after painting. Used to work for a company back in my college days, when they got ready to do "Saturday Night Paint Job" on a machine, they smeared grease over all of the surfaces they didn't want paint on them including grease zerks, oilers, and such. When the paint dried, took rags and varsol and wiped off all of the grease. Paint job was done!

I take oilers, bolts, screws etc out. Then plug the threads/holes with foam earplugs, after painting run a craft knife blade around the hole and they pull out leaving clean, fresh threads :)

Dave H. (the other one)

I still have a ways to go, still cleaning things up, the problem with removing them is that I would have to replace them, and not sure if they are all the same size or where to get them or the cost of them. I guess I could knock one out and measure it. Does anyone know where a good place to purchase ball oilers from.

......snip......Does anyone know where a good place to purchase ball oilers from.
I would rather replace all of those ball oilers with standard oil cups. Yeah I know, some of them have to be ball oilers. I have an assortment of sizes, I think they are 1/4" and 5/16" I bought some time of another. I know you can buy them from McMasterCarr also. look under "Lubrication-oilers" or this link https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-oil-cups/=15o8hhu Don't know why they are listed there but they are.

Back