Lathe Spindle spider

Ski

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need to make one to fit the left side of a South Bend 13" and wondering if we could get some pics posted of these ? I have a good idea how I want to make one but thought I'd see what others have done. I need to shorten a long screw and the only way it is going to happen is run it through the headstock. Ski

I need to make one to fit the left side of a South Bend 13" and wondering if we could get some pics posted of these ? I have a good idea how I want to make one but thought I'd see what others have done. I need to shorten a long screw and the only way it is going to happen is run it through the headstock. Ski

One of the easiest ways to shorten a long screw is to take a drill bushing the size of the outside diameter of the screw threads, and take a dremel and split the bushing. Put the screw through and chuck it up in either a collet head or a three jaw chuck. Or if you don't have a drill bushing, take a piece of aluminum or steel that is larger diameter than the head of the screw, drill a hole through that is the clearance size for the screw, then split it with a Dremel or a hacksaw. You now have a small collet to hold any size of screw you make it for. If you have a quantity of screws to cut down, make the collet the length that you need, and tough off of it each time. Fast and easy.

kevin, The screw I have to shorten is the x axis screw for a Lagun verticle mill. It is big. I got a screw for a 56" table for cheap that is new. My mill has a 42" table. Ski

kevin, The screw I have to shorten is the x axis screw for a Lagun verticle mill. It is big. I got a screw for a 56" table for cheap that is new. My mill has a 42" table. Ski

Yea.....forget the drill bushing then. LOL!!!! After rereading things, I don't know what I was thinking when I responded. Cutting something long, you want to make sure that it doesn't flop. Cut off what you can if you have a chopsaw. If you don't want to make a special adapter for the end of the headstock, a lot of times I would shove paper towels in the excess area to keep a rod or shaft from flopping around. If the shaft is excessively long, even though it is not a real safe idea in a shop atmosphere, take a piece of PVC tubing that will slip over the shaft or leadscrew, and have someone hole it fairly steady while you machine the other end which will be centered anyways in the chuck or collet.

I am working on a spider so I can adjust for TIR what hangs out left of the spindle. I am hoping that will do the trick. I plan on measuring and cutting just as you suggested with a chop saw. Them machining a nipple and bore and pinning them together. Ski

IMG_2063.JPG

I am a little hesitant to post this, might bring new meaning to the word "crude". I had to turn the end of a piece of round stock down the other day and this is how I supported the end of it, not pretty but it did the job. For what you are doing it sounds like you are going to have quite a bit of screw hanging out past the end of the spindle even with a spider, maybe you should give some thought to some way to support your screw all the way at the end.

You can go ahead and copy this if you want...I wont mind.

Last edited:
Get er done ! Was going for one that is little bit more purty though. This is actually doable in my shop though since my bench is to the left of the lathe. I'll save this idea for the extra extra long shaft job ! Ski

This is it in its infant stage.image.jpg

Back